1918 BAR carry case

I have the OOW 1918A3 with their nice, custom pelican-style carry case. It barely fits in the back seat of my car, and is big, heavy and extremely awkward. Is there a padded canvas case out there that will fit it? I saw a one on GB, pictured with a 1903 case. The photo array, however, didn't include one of the BAR in the case. I'm not bothered by the copies available on Amazon, but I don't want to buy something that won't work. The case for my Garand is too short and won't zip shut, even with the flash hider off.

Thanks in advance, Karl, 68coupe

Edited by 68coupe
incorrect spelling

6 minutes ago, Bridgeport28A1 said:

You could go old school. Not padded but original WW2.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295708418751?chn=ps

Man, don't I wish. I know, it's beautiful, but that's a bit pricey. I can almost hear "but you paid 6k for the gun"...I'm saying it to myself...I can dream though...

Karl, 68coupe

My $.02-

I have an OOWA3. I was also looking for what you were looking for about a year ago and this is what I ended up with.

I have one of the USGI jump bags in my pile of stuff. The problem with that one is, you have to insert the BAR in the jump bag butt first for the bipod to fit, and then the flashhider is still too long by ~1/2" - 1". If you got a "neutered" flash hider it would probably fit. The BAR will go in muzzle first with flash hider on, but the bipod won't fit. The jump bag is "loose" on the open end, and "tight" on the closed end. The closed end has some padding down in there which I guess is to protect the muzzle. This blocks the ability to fully insert the BAR when you stick the buttstock in first.

I ended up with the 50" drag bag that MidwayUSA sells. I would have preferred something USGI but this works.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939171584?pid=316276

FYI- I cut the drag bag cover off on the muzzle end of the case.

This works - with or with out the bipod and/or carry handle. It is a little "loose" but the velcro straps hold everything in place.

BAR Soft Case 1.jpg

BAR Soft Case 2.jpg

Edited by Dogman217.
added 50"

Jim, What kind of buttstock is that? I've never seen one before. Paratrooper? It's very cool. Probably shaves several pounds. I haven't even tried to remove mine. From what I've read (mostly right here), they can be "challenging", if not impossible, straight out'a the box from OOW.

Karl

On 4/13/2024 at 6:55 AM, jim c 351 said:

68coupe,

The leather case pictured above won't work  with the bipod .

You need a 1950's padded jump case. Should be perfect. do a search.

Jipix983907894.jpgm C

Jim, is that the British stock made during WW2 to replace damaged original wood stocks on the lend lease guns often used by the Home Guard? I recall seeing a photo of the stock in Rock in a Hard Place, this is my first time seeing one outside of that book.

Dogman,

I had previously put my OOW 1918A3 rifle W/flash hider , in the M1950 padded jump case, so I knew it would work that way.

I don't use the bipod so it never occured, and very surprised, me that the case wouldn't work with bipod installed.

In 1950 the BAR was a important part of the rifle squad , so why make such a case.

Nate,

You are correct. The steel, skelitan butstock is one of the British jobs made to replace a broken wood stock.

It is pictured with a Winchester M1918 Automatic Machine Rifle with British lend/lease stamps.

I had Dan Block make a wood stock, which is currently on the rifle.

Thanks for your interest.

Jim C

• Like 1

Just to set the record straight.... Jim C, you are correct - it fits! All of it - bipod, carry handle, and sling. I turned the bipod to the side and kept at it until it went in.

This was bugging me, so I tried again. I kept thinking about what you stated and I thought it has to fit.

It was a real PITA and took alot of pushing and pulling and stretching and cussing....but I got it in.

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

Edited by Dogman217.
typo

On 4/22/2024 at 4:45 PM, Dogman217. said:

Just to set the record straight.... Jim C, you are correct - it fits! All of it - bipod, carry handle, and sling. I turned the bipod to the side and kept at it until it went in.

This was bugging me, so I tried again. I kept thinking about what you stated and I thought it has to fit.

It was a real PITA and took alot of pushing and pulling and stretching and cussing....but I got it in.

I have ordered a M1958 drop bag. I hope my rifle will fit as well as yours did. I'm also going to get the bag for the 1903, as I have one of them too. I can store them in the hard cases to prevent damage. I'll let y'all know how it goes. I just need something that isn't as bulky and awkward to get my guns to the range.

V/R Karl, 68coupe