Beretta 38a/44

fifthmdec

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there may have any information the the Beretta 38As that were converted after the war to the later configurations. We have recently picked up a Model 38A/44, it looks like a 38A but has a different, cocking handle, bolt, firing pin, mainspring. Still it is all Beretta built in 1949, any information or direction would be appreciated...

• 3 months later...

http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/submachg/armsmg1.htm

Beretta as you probably know has made 4 runes first was the nice 38a then during the war it was simplified for cheaper and faster production si it was called 38/42 then at end war it was made even more cheaper and faster for production 38/44 and finally after the war it was modified and was send in to production for the new Italian army/police it was called Model 4 (38/49) it has stayed there to these day and is one beset smg in world 3rd only to the famous Swedish k and Sterling also there were other countries that purchased them like Costa Rica, Egypt (small numbers as they had Swedish K and some trade problem later), Indonesia, Dominics, Thailand, Tunisia and in large numbers Republic of the Yemen (because these assholes sold then to every Arab country that was not abele to trade with EU directly)

I am very interested in purchasing a Beretta 38 style SMG and am very interested in its variations.

I am curious abolut yours.

Could you post some photos?

Rich Urich

Info 9 mm Parabellum Carbine Beretta M1938/42
sically a simplified Model 38A. The barrel jacket is not used and all Model 38/42s have a fixed firing pin. There are three distinct types of this Model. Models with the fluted barrel are the 38/42. Those similar in appearance but with a smooth barrel are called the 38/43 and another type having a shorter bolt is the 38/44 and is identified by the absence of the recoil spring guide head protruding through the cap on the end of the receiver. The front trigger is for single shot - the rear one for automatic.

Sorry my camera had an accident so am currently shopping for one. But I can say that it is one beset SMG (my is the 38/42) it is 3rd in line as beset smg in word if you ask me and as we all know the Swedish k is #1 (have one) and Sterling is #2 (have one and strongly recommend for you to get one its so so smooth and accurate) some ppl say that mp40 is 3rd but that’s BS if you ask me Historically even the bustards Waffen SS have always preferred Beretta38 vs mp40 (other German soldiers also like it but the weren’t offered the chose only in limited numbers in Balkan units and the ones that were fitting in Russia along side Italian legion )

If I was you try to find 38a or Model 4 (38/49) if you can but the 38 and 38/42 fire 99.999% the same and you can also convert 38/42 in to 38 as there so many 38a parts kit for sale (mostly junky with bad wood) but that’s up2you personally I stayed with 38/42.

http://www.worldwar2.ro/images/content/cav2.JPG

Edited by Ntom