Need Help With My Reising -- Cycling Problems

ptrthgr8

Hey, folks.

Yesterday I managed to get out for a couple of hours so I could burn through several boxes of .45 ACP. This was the first time I've had my Reising out since picking it up the previous weekend.

When I paid for the Reising three months ago, I got to spend some time shooting it (went through 200 rounds or so) and it didn't have a single problem. Yesterday, though, I had two primary problems: ammo feeding poorly and unable to empty a magazine in a single squeeze of the trigger.

I took along a few boxes of Wolf steel-cased ammo and a couple boxes of American Eagle ammo. Regardless of the ammo being used, the bolt would regularly fail to properly strip a round out of the mag. I'd pull the charging handle back and then the round would feed properly. Fire a few rounds, and then the same thing would happen. At first I thought this problem was due to the steel-cased Wolf ammo, but it was happening with the brass-cased American Eagle ammo, too. And strangely enough, the AE ammo was left over from when I shot the Reising at the dealer's house (and it worked perfectly fine).

I'm wondering if something happened to the mag since the first time I shot this subgun -- it only came with a single 12-round mag, so I wasn't able to test a different one. (Hopefully those Ken Christie 30-rounders will show up soon.)

The other problem was even more surprising. With the selector on full-auto, I'd pull the trigger, expecting 12 rounds to get sent down range in a hurry, but that didn't happen at all. Only once did I manage to burn through an entire 12-round mag in one burst. More often, I'd get three or four rounds fired and then everything stopped. I'd release the trigger, pull it again, and then I'd get another 3-4 round burst. A few times I only got a single round fired.

These problems are really frustrating. The first time I shot this Reising (a little more than 3 months ago), everything worked perfectly fine. It's the same sub-gun, but for whatever reason it's not functioning properly any more.

I field-stripped the Reising for cleaning prior to heading out to the range -- it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in some time -- and everything seemed to go back together perfectly fine. All the parts looked okay, springs looks fine, and everything seemed to be AOK.

This is my first sub-gun, so I'm hoping someone out there has some ideas. Maybe there's something really simple I'm missing... I dunno.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, all.

~ Greg ~

Greg,.. I`m no expert but would seriously look at the recoil spring...Wolf springs for the Reising are a must to keep them running...and check the action bar for misalignment which can happen after cleaning...and look for any burrs on the bolt face...hth... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

What you are describing with the gun simply stopping was a major source of frustration for me for a long time after getting my Reising. I replaced the springs and even attempted a very light polishing of the inside of the receiver.

Last June I took the gun down to Bulletfest and right from the get go it was the S.O.S.. Finally, out of frustration more than anything else, I pulled it out of the stock and hosed it down really good with Gun Scrubber. I set it aside to dry for a bit. I reassembled it without any lubrication.

That thing ran like a champ for the next two days. It simply ran like a Swiss watch. I dont know why. I have had the gun out a few times since and I always hose it down with Gun Scrubber before shooting. My malfunctions since adopting this routine seems to have eliminated 98% of my malfunctions. Again, I don't know why.

The last time I had it out at a local shoot a couple guys even told me my Reising runs good.

I use the Winchester Value packs from Walmart for ammo. I tried using Wolf but broke my ejector within 200 rounds. Now I stick to brass cases.

Hope some of this helps.

I had the same problem. I replaced the sear and the action bar for about $100. Problem disappeared. Either the sear was worn or the action bar was slightly bent. It did not look like it lined up perfectly with the axis of the barrel. There could also have been a problem where the sear notch engages the rear of the action bar. It looked like it was worn by the interaction. Anyway, $100 solved the problem (Gun Parts, Inc or Sarco) and the gun functions fine.

I had the same problems with my reising. They seem to be a them out there with problems of some type. I replaced the springs and did some polishing of the receiver and the bolt. But still had same problems. I shipped the gun to paul Hayes. He had to replace the action bar and some other parts, but runs perfect now. Hope this helps, you'll get it going soon.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, folks.

Well, I installed the new Wolff spring kit last weekend and managed to get the Reising out for some range time yesterday... and I'm tickled to report that it works like a charm now. The new springs definitely did the trick!

We had a big get-together at my friend's place. It was a half-arsed work related function -- we have 5 folks from one of our Indian partners in town and they wanted to do something "absolutely American" while they were here... so we fed 'em well and let them shoot a bunch of guns (the Reising, my HRA M1 Garand, Beretta Cougar in .40 S&W, a Soviet Mosin Nagant M44, a Yugo SKS, and a Czech CZ-52).

There were five folks from India (none had ever fired a gun before) and 10 of our friends/co-workers (most of whom had fired a gun before, but none who'd actually fired a full auto). Without a doubt, the Reising was the biggest hit of the day... I brought 750 rounds of ammo for it and shot the last round of .45 ACP about 2 hours after we started. Considering all the other guns that were being shot that day, I think that's pretty quick. Too, one of my employees has been bitten by the bug... she had never fired a gun before and was nothin' but ear-to-ear grin after she fired the first mag from the Reising. She also had a lot of fun shooting all the other guns we had along... now she wants a firearm of her own, too!

Still, the 12-round mag is simply not enough. I'm really jonesin' for those Christie mags... a 30-rounder would still get emptied in a hurry, but it would last a lot longer (150% longer!) than the 12-rounder.

I think, too, I want to get a new mag spring for the 12 rounder... it was functioning fine all day right up to the end. It seems that as it gets used more and more (and the mag body gets crudded up with fouling) the tension on the spring isn't enough to feed the rounds properly. During the last 24 rounds (last two mags) the mag failed to properly feed three times. It was working perfectly fine all day before then and I did notice quite a bit of fouling... perhaps a new mag spring would allow the mag to work better when it gets fouled up during the course of a day at the range.

At any rate, the problem's been fixed and my Reising is working perfectly fine now.

Thanks for all the advice, folks!

Cheers,

~ Greg ~