2nd Question For All

m37

This one is more involved

We have the tooling to build the oversized action bar it was

Designed for the M3 and 9mm conversions it is heavier than the

STD bar as the bar is made now it slows the ROF about 200rpm (with new springs - ball ammo)

Now the bad

It wont fit without inletting and complicating this is the

Original inletting is usually very bad

It looks to have been done in different setups causing it to be

Crooked in places and offset from the centerline plus the stocks are usually

To thin in the middle part of the action anyway

So I could take some material off the action bar rails and move it to the

Neck area that way the inletting would be in the thicker part of the stock

You could have a local gunsmith or woodworker route it out

Or build a new stock that is oversize and would allow for a even

Bigger/heavier bar that would slow the ROF down more

Also Does anyone have a reising with the "FAT" stock I have seen a couple

They look like one of the oversize M14NM stocks

mike

http://www.darnalls.com/reising/bar1.JPG

Edited by m37

I really like this idea. If you can get it to work, and it does slow the ROF noticeably, you will have a winner on your hands.

You said:

Original... looks to have been done in different setups causing it to be
crooked in places and offset from the centerline

It is not uncommon for the bar to rub the stock, causing reliability problems.

the stocks are usually too thin in the middle part of the action anyway

how much would have to be taken out. More importantly, how much would remain at the thinnest spot?

I have a spare beater stock that I don't feel bad about chopping on. These don't seem to be too difficult to find. I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal to get a used stock to experiment on.

How much do you expect the heavy action bar to cost?

"It is not uncommon for the bar to rub the stock, causing reliability problems."

absolutely Besides the inletting problems The bars are usually warped/bowed from heat treating If you look at the factory one in the pic the neck is bent a lot are bowed in the middle this can cause binding on the mags

On the stock

the bar in its thickest section is 1.200 wide the thinner neck is .700 wide you can measure your stock and see how much you would have left

What I am thinking to be able to use the std stock is to go to 1.100 wide and put more metal at the front were the stock is thicker

But I think I did this whole thing backwards

The question I should have asked is how slow is slow enough?

is the ideal rate of 650rpm what everybody wants

With the bar in the picture it went from just over 1000 rpm

to the low 800's Im going to do some testing increasing the weight to see how much is required

The cost should be in the $150-200 range for the bar

If a new stock was needed it would probably be about the same cost

Was thinking laminated with finger groves

Mike

Mike, FWIW, I'd prefer around 750-800 rpm. I also have a minty stock I'd rather not switch out or re-inlet, so a less-beefy action bar would be perfect for me.

FWIW, I've played with different ROFs on my M16 in both 5.56 and 9mm, plus an Uzi and M11/9mm, and I don't think there's one "magic" perfect ROF. For instance, IMHO an M11/9mm is still too fast at 800 rpm ... but I really didn't think much of Uzis with the stock 650 rpm until I jacked it up to around 800 rpm: Then it smoothed right out.

It's difficult to say what will be smoothest in a Reising without trying two or three different ROFs (and due to the design, it's a lot more difficult/expensive to play with a Reising's speed). But I'm guessing, from my limited experience, that the M50 is long and heavy enough (compared with, say Macs) to run smoothly at a slightly higher ROF.

I'll try to measure my stock in the next coupla days (Santa duties permitting) and see how my inletting compares to the dimensions you list above.

Just some thoughts .... and if you could come up with an 800 rpm bar that didn't required re-inletting, I'll pay $150-$200 for one. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Edited by tony k

Tony,

you have a really nice, minty gun. I wouldn't want to carve up the stock either. However, you don't have to use only that stock. I bought a beater stock for my M50 because I wanted to experiment some with it and didn't want to mess up my original stock.

You can find used stocks for not too much money.

Or, if you want to keep yours looking nice but still not mess with the stock, someone was making some premium stocks (Micheal Bush maybe?) a while back. You could see about getting one of those inletted for a heavy bar.