Different Take-down Screws

smithwr3

I am considering buying an M-50 for about $4k. I was sent a couple of pictures, but the take down screws look really different. Here's a picture.

Anyone come across this type of take down screws? Any idea how hard it could be to convert it back to the factory style screw? Thanks

Don't think I'd pay $4K for a Reising that's been bubba'd. However, if you do buy it, I've got a real nice original military Reising stock to fit it for only $250.00 that would put it back to original configuration. Stock has been refinished with hand rubbed Tru-Oil finish.

• 3 weeks later...

The screw itsself looks fine. It appears to be the older style screw. Oddly, the stock has the reinforcement pin through it, making it a later stock with an earlier screw. It's possible this was done in the factory... maybe.

What is different is the second takedown screw in front of the magwell. While it is possible that this was done at the factory, I don't remember ever seeing this configuration. I wonder if the lug that the screw mates to had its threads stripped, and the owner just ran a screw to the other lug.

Or perhaps the screw would not stay in tight so someone thought to try two screws. While my takedown screw tends to loosen, I find a drop of blue locktite takes care of this.

In any case, I'd investigate more closely before buying.

You may be able to talk the buyer down somewhat by telling him you will have to spend more money to get a "correct" stock, etc.

If I were buying it for a shooter I would check the internals and test fire it. If it ran good then I wouldnt worry a bit about the TDS. If I were buying it as an "investment" ( I know we tell the gals we are always doing BOTH, but we can be realistic with each other) Then I would worry. I would NEVER by a MG I couldnt test out first. Thats just outlandish!