The Best Deal On An M1a1

I have been in the market for 4 months looking for a US property marked WWII M1A1 or 28. In the last 4 months the cheapest I have seen which is currently on the boards for $16.5k and is poorly refinished to a high which is still currently on the boards for a rewat in good shape for $23k. I have found a US property marked arsenal refinished M1a1 Bridgeport with US property and acceptance stamps fro $16.7k. My Sot has sent the paperwork and I am sending the check today! Hopefully within a few months you will see pics of me blasting away. By the way I finally got my wife to insist on the Thompson after watching "Saving Private Ryan" the other night. She whacked me at the mere thought of buying a WH gun and actually forked over an extra $1400 to help seal the deal on this gun http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif .

ac556k,

Congratulations! I truly hope the gun is all you expect it to be. I think the price is in the current ballpark for a "U.S. Property" marked M1A1.

FWIW, I do not believe there are "U.S. Property" marked '28A1s. The "special" marking on them was "Tommy Gun". Of course I could be wrong about that. My children and other board members here keep me humble.

Enjoy your M1A1 when it arrives! (And let your wife shoot it too).

The $23K rewat is the gun I was considering. It looks very nice, but is not US Property marked. Finally confirmed it did have AOC markings on it, and the acceptance stamps matched up with the ones in Frank's book. The rewat is supposedly very light and only visible from inside the receiver. Still thinking, but considering the flood of M1's, seems too high.

Ken