Novice Question

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif Ok this may seem like a dumb question but go easy on me I'm a Thompson nut and know little more about MP-40's than could fit on a 3 x 5 card

Here goes, why is there such a price disparity between the MP-38 / 40 and the Sten. I still see the Mark III Stens at $50 and the Mark II's between $100 and $125. Then the Mp's are $1000.00 !?! What is the differance ?

The Mp-38/40 doesn't have a provision for semi but a much cooler if posibly shakey folding stock. (never found a folding or detacable stock I truly like even on a TSMG)

Just don't get the major disparity in price, can anyone explain ?

BB

What a great question and one that I have asked myself in the past. I think that the Sten is a much simpler weapon to manufacture and it looks like what it is - a basic, easy t o make and maintain weapon. The MP40 has a sort of "cachet" I suppose from it's association with Nazi Germany. Almost all Third Reich collectable items are valued higher than their corresponding Allied counterparts. They are quite visible in war movies and are one of the most easily recognized (along with Thompsons) of all military weapons.

I think that the MP40 was widely used in many parts of the world after WWII, but I am not sure about the Sten. MP40's are not uncommon and in other countries parts kits are rather reasonable. I think that there is a reluctance to cut these babies up for import. For comparison Marstar in Canada lists VG-Exc operational MP40's at $695.00 with cleaning kit and one 32 round magazine. Unfortunately US citizens can't get our hands on these nor on the live Thompsons that they carry. Right now it simply appears to be a case of supply versus demand in this country. If there was not a demand on the part of shooters and collectors the price would no doubt fall.

A good number of these were liberated by GI's and subsequently became dewats or were registered in class III States and during the last (and probably final) amnesty period. I would like to own a semi-auto version of the weapon, but none has yet gotten BATFE approval so in the meanwhile, I take down my Marushin and dream of the day..........