Sportsman's Guide Thompson Bags

I decided to throw caution to the wind and purchased a couple of repro canvas Thompson carrying bags from Sportsman's Guide. They previously sold a model that held the gun, dettached buttstock and 4 - 20 rounders. They recently changed to a model that held 4 - 30 rounders. I took the bait and ordered a couple of the later model.

Junk. The chi-com copied Lift-The -Dot fasteners were so crude they were all pulling right out of the canvas. Also the entire bag was single stitched with cheap sewing tread. They look good for a display perhaps but would not endure even the most modest of use.

My two cents: nice idea but unacceptable quality.

I shipped mine back.

ODA572

oda572,

Sorry about frustration. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/banghead.gif

Thanks for passing along the word about them. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm

I had the misfortune of buying one of the earlier bags which held the 20 rd mags. How much were they? $49.95? The flap would not close over the receiver/barrel once the stock was removed. Why? Because the design did not take into account the Cutts compensator. What are these people thinking? What other Thompson would fit in this bag other than the M1928. I ended up shoving the receiver in first, and letting the compensator stick out the top next to the flap. And the snaps are 2nd rate.

If you want a really nice and well made repro , Pacific Canvass makes a Thompson cover that is OD and heavy duty. I saw it advertised on Gunlist a couple of years back and bought it for $50. It it nothing like the SG bag.

What other Thompson would fit in this bag other than the M1928.

I should have said, "What other Thompson that people actually have access to, would fit in this bag other than the M1928?" I did think of the M1921 which has a removable stock and no compensator, but how many bags would these people sell if only M1921 owners bought them?

Red9 Posted on Jul 25 2007, 08:08 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want a really nice and well made repro , Pacific Canvass makes a Thompson cover that is OD and heavy duty. I saw it advertised on Gunlist a couple of years back and bought it for $50. It it nothing like the SG bag.

Red9 How do you get a hold of them? (Pacific Canvas) You wouldn't happen to have a picture of it?-Adlake

QUOTE (adlake @ Jul 30 2007, 03:44 AM)
Red9 Posted on Jul 25 2007, 08:08 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red9 How do you get a hold of them? (Pacific Canvas) You wouldn't happen to have a picture of it?-Adlake

Here's their web site http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/car...se/pcl_41_m.htm

It's really well made and very sturdy. It heavy duty all around. They also make a nice cover for the M1A1 Paratrooper carbine that I also have.

Man they have a nice selection of items. I think in the next year I will be ordering the Garand case and a few 1911 stuff unless I find it in the next St. Paul gunshow. Thank you for the link and the heads up-adlake