Incompatibility Of Auto Ordnance M1 Carbines

Recently I tried replacing the metal ventilated handguard that came from the factory on my Auto Ordnance carbine with a wood GI verision. No luck. It didn't fit at all. So I ordered a replacement Auto Ordnance wood handguard directly from Kahr/Auto Ordnance, thinking one they made would fit ALL their carbines. Just received it today and went to install it. Again....A BAD FIT. It seems the metal ventilated handguard and the location of the handguard locking bar on the stock are SPECIFIC to this carbine. On the wood handguard I bought, the locking bar engaged at a point where the handguard would be positioned too far forward for the rear metal tab of the handguard to remain inside the receiver. Closer inspection reveals the the overall length of the metal ventilated handguard is actually LONGER than the wood one. So that explains the bad fit of both the GI and replacement Auto Ordnance handguard. Evidently the replacement handguard from AO is made for the "original" version of their carbine that also comes with a wood handguard, flat bolt, push button safety, etc. Just a heads up so that anyone else who plans on this knows in advance. ;)

Dep

Edited by Deputy

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, deputy,

I have one of the newer "WWII" Kahr/AO carbines and have been very happy with it. One of the first things I tried to do was to drop the action into a repro airborne folding stock that I've had for awhile. No go; the barrel will not bed and stays about 2" in the air. I never even got to the matching handguard. The Kahr receiver tang must not be to GI specs, although I have made no effort to measure it ouut exactly. (A GI action beds down fine.) I've about decided that Kahr's carbine offering is not so much of a reproduction of the GI M1 carbine as it is their interpretation of it. I've tried no other parts swapping. I'm thinking that Kahr is Kahr, and GI is GI. Never the two shall meet.

Edited by TSMGguy