New To Bm59's Potential Buyer

soshoresig

Hi everyone, from reading the posts this seems like a very knowledgable group. So here it is: I was in a far away gun shop last week, when I see what I think is an M1A with folding stock. The owner tells me it is a Springfield M1A Paratrooper NIB that uses M1A mags. $2200. I leave thinking nice gun but probably not something especially rare. I started to look for info when I got home and could find none on a Springfield M1A Paratrooper , but links to BM-59's. Did Springfield ever make an M1A Paratrooper, or is this a BM59? It has the plastic pistol grip, reddish in color, the Beretta type folder and tri compensator with provisions for grenade launcher, grenade sights, bayonet lug and folding bipod. It is in a Springfield box with manual and one mag, but I didn't know enough at the time to see if M1A type mag or BM59 type mag. what should I look for to tell the difference? Thanks for any and all help.

Soshoresig:

Did you see how the receiver is marked on the heel and the side? Without seeing a photo, it sounds like you've found a BM59/62 rifle by SA Inc. still in its original box.

Thinking of buying................................??

Good luck!

MRJ

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the late reply, i just got back from a week in Vegas and my mind is foggy. I didn't take a look at heel or side of reciever cause I thought it was an M1A, I'm gonna go back this week and look. I'm kind of intrigued, but not sure I like the idea of proprietary mags. They seem to be expensive and hard to come by, I like to have a good stock of mags for all weapons. If it was semi auto BM59 is that a decent price? I can't seem to find out much about them. If it is a BM59 will the heel be stamped Beretta? Thanks for any and all info.