BAR NESA receiver markings B.O.L.

Greetings, i am an european collector and i I recently saw a 1918A2 New England BAR with the markings B.O.L. on top of the receiver

Is this an inspector marking or an arsenal overhaul marking ?

The seller says this gun was found in a village in Belgium and was left there during the war, is this possible or would an arsenal rework rather mean it was done after the war ?

Many thanks for your answers

PB

BAR.jpg

I have been trying to research that marking myself for the past few months.

All those listed with this marking in the WWIIBARMAN Yahoo Groups data base are NESA. My NESA also has this marking. I emailed Bruce Canfield this morning to see if he had any information on this.

Maybe possible however I had seen a number of receivers marked that were C&Rs which may or may not have been out of the US such as the DS that mostly likely would have.

I also found a H&R Mark 5 flare pistol with the same marking.

The USMC museum had a number of BARs on display when I visited last month but naturally they had them displayed where you could not see the receiver markings clearly.

As soon as I receive a reply from Bruce I will post it here.

Bruce's answer -

Have have seen that marking a couple of times before (see attached photo) but do not know what the letters represent. I suppose it could be a rebuild marking but it doesn't correspond with any known U.S. (or foreign) ordnance facility.