L Drum Question For Pk Or Merle

PK and Merle,

In the past several weeks there have been several comments on the importance of greasing TSMG L drums.

How important is it to have the drums greased?

Will they not run dry?

Whenever I read about greased drums the first things that pop into mind are the Battle of the Bulge and the Chosin Reservoir.

In these actions , soldiers didn't even grease M1 rifle bolts for fear of freezing up.

The sand in North Africa also comes to mind. Fine sand blowing into the drums and mixing with the grease must have made a hell of a mess.

Is there any reason to believe that L drums would have functioned in these actions? Or is it simply another reason why the US Army dropped the drum?

Jim C

Drums were discontinued from use in W.W.II almost from the outset, primarily due to bulk, weight and noise. I can’t imagine they were anywhere to be found in Korea. I’m sure that extreme cold would have be a problem however.

The grease we are talking about is wholly contained within an area I call the rotor cage, which houses the clock spring that drives the rotor. This area is not accessible except via the small clearances between the rotor shaft and the rotor parts, which revolve around it; it would be quite difficult to introduce sand and the like into the greased area.

The spring was greased during assembly to ensure it would work smoothly and deliver the force to move the heavy cartridge load to the feed port in a timely manner; that was over 60 years ago for the last GI drums made. Grease will dry out over time, just as oil will.

Yes, drums can fail to function properly if not greased. Usually, a load of grease will last for a decade or more, depending on the type of grease employed and the frequency of use of the magazine.

Drums were discontinued from use in W.W.II almost from the outset, primarily due to bulk, weight and noise. I can’t imagine they were anywhere to be found in Korea. I’m sure that extreme cold would have be a problem however.

The grease we are talking about is wholly contained within an area I call the rotor cage, which houses the clock spring that drives the rotor. This area is not accessible except via the small clearances between the rotor shaft and the rotor parts, which revolve around it; it would be quite difficult to introduce sand and the like into the greased area.

The spring was greased during assembly to ensure it would work smoothly and deliver the force to move the heavy cartridge load to the feed port in a timely manner; that was over 60 years ago for the last GI drums made. Grease will dry out over time, just as oil will.

Yes, drums can fail to function properly if not greased. Usually, a load of grease will last for a decade or more, depending on the type of grease employed and the frequency of use of the magazine.

PK,

Thanks for your reply.

Jim C