Bolt plug pin

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

• Regular Group
  • 303 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:46 PM

I'm building up a spare bolt and the plug I have for it has the knurled OD rather than the wrench flats which were on my original bolt's plug.  The pins which I have for it slide into the hole in the original plug just fine but although they will start in the hole in the new knurled plug they will not go all the way through.  There is something in the middle of the hole which is stopping them.  I think it may be a spring loaded detent but I'm only guessing on that.

Has there been a change in the pin?  Or do I just drive it home with a punch?

#2 mattnh

mattnh

• Regular Group
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:All things NFA...

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

make sure all the holes are properly lined up and give it a little tap - should go right in...

#3 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

• Regular Group
  • 303 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:37 PM

Thanks, Matt.  I did and it did.  I hesitate to force anything unless I know I'm supposed to (^%$#^%# extractor plungers for example.)  I'm guessing that the original design without the detent device allowed the pin to move end-to-end which could cause some wear on the ID of the actuator sleeve.  That clearly won't happen with this design.

#4 mattnh

mattnh

• Regular Group
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:All things NFA...

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:49 PM

Thanks, Matt.  I did and it did.  I hesitate to force anything unless I know I'm supposed to (^%$#^%# extractor plungers for example.)  I'm guessing that the original design without the detent device allowed the pin to move end-to-end which could cause some wear on the ID of the actuator sleeve.  That clearly won't happen with this design.

Glad to hear it went smoothly

LOL, yeah, everything else is simple and requires trivial force relative to the extractor plunger - that one is a PITA given the size of the parts