Bowers Board 2 Thompsons (?)

I see that two (2) WWII Commemorative Thompsons were just listed on Bowers Board. Now, I'm not a Tommy expert, but I do own a Savage, that said, the seller said they are brand new and have been sitting in a safe since the 50's.

How is that possible? Wouldn't they be West Hurley guns? If so, how could they have been made in the 50's?

If I'm wrong, well that's why I come here, to learn from the experts.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ad No. 4990

Date Posted: 10/06/2004

Price: $15,000 ea.

Text of Ad

Two brand new Thompsons M1A1. These are WWII comemorative and are beautiful. These Machineguns have been in a safe since the 50's.

Comes with FBI case, 50rd. Drum and several 30rd and 20rd mags.

Pic's available via e-mail

The semi automatic WWII Commemorative is on the Curio & Relic list , but the 85 Full Auto ones made in 1983 are not. None were based on the M1A1

Auto Ordnance, West Hurley, NY, Korean War Commemorative Thompson semiautomatic rifle, caliber .45.

Auto Ordnance, West Hurley, NY, World War II Commemorative Thompson semiautomatic rifle, caliber .45.

Auto Ordnance Thompson, cal. 45 semiautomatic rifle, Vietnam Commemorative, S/N's V0001-V1500, issued by the American Historical Foundation, Richmond VA.

96lt1ss, et al.:

From ATF Website

SECTION IV: National Firearms Act Weapons Classified As Curios Or Relics Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44

The Bureau has determined that the following National Firearms Act weapons are curios or relics as defined in 27 CFR 178.11 because of their dates of manufacture. These National Firearms Act weapons, classified as curios or relics, are still subject to all the controls under the National Firearms Act. However, licensed collectors may acquire, hold, or dispose of them as curios or relics subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 and 27 CFR Part 178. They are still "firearms" as defined in the National Firearms Act and 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44.

Auto Ordnance, WWII commemorative Thompson model 1928, caliber .45.

Auto Ordnance, Korean War Commemorative Thompson model 1928, cal. .45.

The 85 WWII 1928 WH TSMG Commemoratives made in 1983 and the 145 1928 WH TSMG Korean War Commemoratives made in 1984 are indeed classified as Curio & Relics. The 17 Vietnam War 1928 WH TSMG Commemoratives made in 1985 are not.

I have personally seen and handled a 1928 WH TSMG Korean War Commemorative here in Michigan (C&R state). The owner has a C&R license only. The Form 4 lists American Historical Foundation, not Auto Ordnance as the manufacturer.