Thompson Ordnance Drawing April 20, 1945

I have this drawing tacked to the wall of the shop. it is nice to have because it shows

a cross section view of a complete gun with arrows pointing to the parts labeled with the

drawing numbers. I am posting it because while it is an "official" drawing it has no counterpart

in the rear world. For example, as shown, the gun is fitted with an M1A1 rear sight. Also, since

the M1928A1 was out of production by 1945, what the heck were they doing working on drawings

like this?

Who knows? maybe 50 years from now a Thompson enthusiast will be prying his Lyman 55B

sight off his gun to fit the "correct" M1A1 sight.....

Bob

IMG_9067.JPG

IMG_9068.JPG

Im no expert but the drawing looks to be originally 1941 and then subsequently unissued regularly until 1945.

Perhaps the original drawing showed a Lyman adjustable, then when that was obsolete the simple L sight and then as that was obsolete, the later M1 A1 sight. It would make sense to me that as they ran out of spare sights, they would use what was currently available to repair. So this drawing would show at a glance that the late sight can be retro fitted.

Like I say, Im not a Thompson expert or US Armourer but as a British Armourer, thats how Id view the drawing.