SN for Model 55

vern21

Fuzzy area , that .

Early "M55" s were built on "M50 " marked recievers .

Later M55s were built on recievers marked M55 , but in the same ranges as M50s being built at the same time .

Now the fuzziness . If they needed to build M50s but only had M55 marked recievers on hand , they shipped out M55 marked M50s . If they needed to build M55s and only had M50 marked recievers on hand , well , they built M50 marked M55s .

Because of this , or maybe the M55 stamp broke , in the mid- 90,000 range the marked both M50 only . ( remember in '44 , dies were so hard to get that some ammo manufacturers ground the "3" off the " 43" stamps to leave just a "4" to use on 44 produced cases ) .

So , in summation , M55 marked receivers can be found in in the 12,000 to 95,000 range , but could have left the factory either way , and factory built M55s in that range could be on M50 marked receivers . All post 95,000 - ish M55s will be on M50 marked receivers .

HTH , Chris

Thanks guys. I have a M55 receiver with a 0 stamped over the second 5 that is in M50 configuration. The sn is in the 54k range. Looks factory as it is aligned perfectly and does not look like a hand stamp.

The M55 in question was a 500k sn. Not an "S" either. I looked it over very carefully, in fact almost bought it except the sn seemed too high. When I spoke to the owner about shipping to a C&R, he mentioned that there might be another name besides H&R on the Form 4. When I thought about it, I felt it might have been re-numbered and registered.

Jim

Thanks guys. I have a M55 receiver with a 0 stamped over the second 5 that is in M50 configuration. The sn is in the 54k range. Looks factory as it is aligned perfectly and does not look like a hand stamp.

The M55 in question was a 500k sn. Not an "S" either. I looked it over very carefully, in fact almost bought it except the sn seemed too high. When I spoke to the owner about shipping to a C&R, he mentioned that there might be another name besides H&R on the Form 4. When I thought about it, I felt it might have been re-numbered and registered.

Jim

Sounds like it was not an H&R gun. The serial number is ~400,000 above the serial number range for Reising Model 50's and 55's. The highest serial number we should expect would be around 120,000.

I suppose it could have been a serial number modified with an additional digit by a registrant, and amnesty registered, but I've never seen one like it. There are some other reproduction "Reising" receiver tubes out there, and I don't know what their serial numbers look like.

David Albert

dalbery@sturmgewehr.com