Vickers "K" guns?

This is a .303 Br. caliber weapon, air-cooled, top-mounted drum (Like the Lewis Gun), gas-operated, and usually seen in photos of LRDG or SAS jeeps. I don't recall ever seeing one advertised for sale in the U.S. (even as a DEWAT back in the good old days) nor do I recall seeing any parts kits for this weapon.

Even more frustrating, the K-gun was not included in my usual -- long out-of-print -- reference for World War 2 firearms: "Small Arms of the World", nor do I recall seeing any info on this gun in any other sources. I've seen photos of the gun and once got a cut-away diagram of it, but have no other information on it. This sort of puzzles me -- that more info isn't available -- given the use of the gun by the LRDG or SAS. Anyone have any history on the guns, production figures, use, photos, etc? Not sure this gun would generate much interest State-side, but it might. Thanks! Bob

A lot of interesting stuff on the 'net on this guns. Was interested to learn it was mounted on the top of the ladders used to scale the cliffs during D-Day by one of the (U.S.) Ranger Battalions. Sort of a cool gun that doesn't seem to attract any attention or interest in the States, maybe only because there are none floating around, even in part kit form.

Yeah. The K-gun mag is smooth, but wanted to give a general "picture" of what it looked like and where it mounted. I think the K-gun used a 97-round mag but am not sure. Sort of an interesting looking weapon, probably more "in demand" in Great Britain than in the States. . .especially for LRDG or SAS reenactors.

I think a lot of it is people see one and think it's a Lewis gun with a funny looking pan . I thought so . Even when the "K-gun" name was said , I still thought it was a variation on a theme ( like a 1921 vs 1928 ) .I never thought differently until the information came out about the London Fire Department ladders and the K-guns tied to the top to give the Rangers fire superiority while they went from ladder to trench. Only then did I research the gun. As much as I've studied D-day , I'm amazed this has not come forward earlier.

Chris