Legality/ Short Barrel

All you guys are so knowledgeble and seem to be up on the laws..

I got a question...Its in regards to legal barrel length on a Tommy.

I know its 16" for an owner of a tommy without the special "short barrel" license. I do not have or wish to apply for this license.

Now, I only wish to use blank cartridges in my semi-automatic 1927a1 tommy for re-enacting WW2,

I need to plug the barrel so that I can eject the spent blank cartridges.

So, what if I buy another barrel, a short one, like the 13" barrel, and PERMANENTLY weld a plug into the end.

And put this barrel on my semi auto?

Will I be in violation of the law even though there is NO WAY IN HECK a bullet could ever be fired thru the gun. Only blanks.

Not plugged, but permanently WELDED up with only a small, 1/16" hole or so to let escaping gases out.

In this way, I get the "look" of a real auto tommy, and could use the gun in this way for re-eancting.

And if I ever decide to shoot it in the future, or sell to another collector who wants a shooter, he can replace the original barrel.

Tell me.. Would I get in trouble for this? Is this an ILLEGAL move in the eyes of the BATF or whomever is in authuority?

Thanks guys..

I wouldn't do it.

The receiver is considered a rifle as it was manufactured as such. It will always be "a rifle" in the eyes of the BATFE.

To put a short barrel on it (functional or not) would be bad (without proper aproval from the BATFE.)

Just my $.02 worth

I would seek out a Model Guns Corp. blank firing 1921. Looks like a Tommy, but is (or never was) a real firearm of any kind.

Norm

I would not do this...like Norm said the receiver is condsidered to be a firearm in itself without a barrel.

The purpose the weapon is used for is not a consideration in the eyes of the BATF. I spoke to a class 3 dealer that told me that he has seen several semi's at gun shows with 1927A5 barrels on them. Even if the compensator is permanantly affixed to the barrel they are still 1/2 inch too short.

It's really playing with fire.

Deputy C6

PS The Kahr short barrel semi is far less expensive than the federal fine...not to mention that cell time.

The Deputy and Norm are most correct. If the barrel can still chamber live ammunition, you will be in violation. You can get PK to move the Cutts back and permanently fix it and it will look a bit shorter at 16". Or you can bite the bullet and apply to make a SBR. $200 and a little (or alot) of time and your set.

BTW, what unit do you do? I'm with G Co. 141st of the 36th Division in Texas.

If you put a bbl that is shorter than 16 inches long without filing the right form and paying the 200 tax you stand to go to jail for 10 years and pay a 10,000 fine.

I would contact the technology branch of the BATFE and ask them about moving a cutts.

Jr

Tman!

We are in the same unit!

I am up in the Dallas, TX area, "B" company, not "g" company.

I am sure we have met, or have at least seen each other at events.

Did you attend the Pottsboro event last January?

Myself and Chuck McCarty put that on...

My impression is that of an MP. Maybe you saw me ? I have been at Anderson, Camp Maybry, Pottsboro, lavernia and other places.

Dave

$200 would be cheap insurance to keep ya' out of jail pard. Send in the proper forms and the money for the tax and wait a bit, then you can put a proper barrel on your gun and not have to worry about Joe Law pickin' ya' up for a firearms violation. I'm kickin' around this idea my self since it's a one shot deal(you just have to pay once) it'd be a good way to go to get a gun that looks as close as you can get. Another thing you could do is just save up your money and pick up a full auto, you'll have about the same paper work and same $200 to pay but in the end you'll have the real deal. If you have a C&R you can by-pass the Class III guy and have the gun sent right to your door, now is that sweet or what? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif