Mp40 Production Differences

mp40

On the AYF grip frames that i have personally observed,(2) one had a (crudely welded) seam and other did not. is this common? or was it a field repair?

QUOTE (mp40 @ Dec 14 2003, 11:13 PM)
On the AYF grip frames that i have personally observed,(2) one had a (crudely welded) seam and other did not. is this common? or was it a field repair?

I think Nick discusses it in his book: Blitzkrieg. If I'm not mistaken the weld is a late war production feature to help streamline manufacture. What's the year stamp on the weapon ?

Dan G.

Girard, PA USA

Dan, they where dated 41 and 43 (if i remember correctly) As they where in a small museum in France, it's hard to recall..And due to some quirk that i could not quite understand at the time, the curator of the museum forbade pictures....Of course, he didn't speak any English!! but he still insisted on giving me a tour discribing everything in French! Fun huh? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif Well, as far as Frank describes the pistol grip frame he disscusses the trigger housing seam and the forward edge of the trigger guard by the attaching screw holes but not the detail on the bottom of the pistol grip.

It's a really small sample, (the only unaltered MP40 I've ever had the chance to examine), but my BNZ41 gun has the weld on the bottom of the grip frame that you write of. It is very well executed and doesn't seem to be a repair. Yet another unexplained MP40 'ism!

Hi Howard, The seams that i observed, even though one had a somewhat crude looking weld, they both had a factory "look" to them, suggesting that they where factory produced. One, being an earlier less hurried production example and the other being a later more hurried example? Who knows? It would be nice to know more about the mp40....