27a1 Failure To Recock On Firing.

Took out my 27a1 today to see how it'd hit with the M1 fixed sight that I installed a few months ago. It hit POA at about 15 yrds which made me happy, it was hittle 4" low at the same range with the stock Lyman style sight. Anyway, while it hit fine and fed a fresh round into the chamber is wasn't kicking the bolt far enough back to recock the gun. I though I'd read here somewhere about cutting off a turn or two of the recoil springs and the hammer spring to make the gun function better with ball ammo. Does anyone remember this? Would this be a logical way to procede or should I look somewhere else for the problem. I'm using Remington UMC ball ammo, 230gr bullet. Thanks in advance for any help. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Someone has to remember that thread about tuning the springs on a 27a1. I just don't want to dick up my gun with my amature gunsmithing, I'd rather have someone here give me the right answer so I can do it right the first time. Come on people, I know that someone on this board has to know, there's too many knowlegble people here to not know. Talk to me. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif

Does your gun have many rounds through it? If its fairly new, the internal surfaces can be quite rough and cause a lot of friction and binding between the striker (firing pin) and the bolt. I took mine apart after I got it and spent a little time with some 400 grit sandpaper smoothing things out. Worked much better after that.

That's my 2 cents

Dan

I"ve not put many rounds thru it and I don't think that the guy I bought it from shot it much either. I may just try to smooth up things a bit and give it another try. I did e-mail Dave to check on the spring kit/buffers that he's working on. It'd be nice if it had lighter springs, it's a real bear to cock. I'll get out some 400grit emory cloth and run over the bolt and inside of the upper frame to smooth it up a bit and see if it helps. Thanks, talk to ya' later. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

TNFrank--

I have the same problem with my 27. You fire it once but it doesn't cock for a second pull of the trigger. I don't know the answer. Maybe PK or other technical smiths can chime in.

QUOTE (Sgt @ Sep 25 2004, 10:57 PM)
TNFrank--
I have the same problem with my 27. You fire it once but it doesn't cock for a second pull of the trigger. I don't know the answer. Maybe PK or other technical smiths can chime in.

I really hope so, now that I've sunk as much money into it as I have I really can't afford to sell it and the wife would kill me if I got rid of it because I bugged her for so long to get it. It's hell being home taking care of mom while my wife works. She thinks she has the ultimate say in how our(her, whatever) money is spent. I thought for sure that I read somewhere where you can cut 1 turn off the hammer spring and a turn and a half off each recoil spring to make the gun run better. I really hope that PK chimes in on this thread, I really need a pros help. By the way, love the paddle safety and round 28 style cocking knob PK, thanks.

So ya'll don't think it's so much the springs as it is friction between the bolt and reciever. I think I'll polish up the bolt and make sure that there are no burrs on the inside of the reciever. Talk to ya' later.

Well, I polished up the bolt, took a turn off of each recoil spring and a turn off of the hammer spring and it worked about 50%. I took another half turn off of the recoil springs and am going to test it after the Cup Race from Dover is over. I'll get back with ya'll and let ya' know how it did. I really think that the spring and buffer kit from David will be my best bet when he get's them available for sale. Easy cocking, that'd be nice. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Well, even with a turn and a half off of both recoil springs and a turn off of the hammer spring it's still not cocking with each shot. I'm not taking anymore off of the springs, guess I'll have to wait for David to get back to my about his spring/buffer kit and see if I can install one of those. This is really annoying because the bolt is coming back enough to load the next round into the chamber, just not far enough to let the firing pin catch on the trigger and re-cock.