Form 4 signatures

JJX

On the fillable Form 4, does ATF accept digital signatures?

The instructions say each signature must be original and in ink, but it does not address digital signatures one way or the other.

A search shows that ATF sometimes specifies ON OTHER FORMS that a digital signature is OK, but I cannot find any mention of it for the Form 4.

The form does allow a digital signature. The feature is on the form.

I am looking for someone who has had success with digital signatures or who can point me to the rules.

Thanks

Not sure what you would do with a digital signature at this point since you can't e-file a form 4 (as far as I know currently)? On forms where you can efile(or could at one time like a form 1) a digital signature is fine. HTH

Can't e-file, but can email it to the transferee instead of mailing it.

I did a silencer shop F4 thru my local gun shop back in Nov (20th). They have the kiosk and the whole e file thing. About a week ago I get an email from silencer shop my F4 came back. Not surprised because I noted that before I e signed it back in Nov the info did not mirror the F3. The transfer expert at the local gun club said oh it will be fine I do this all the time. Guess what...it wasn't fine so my F4 got kicked back. We get the correct info on the form and silencer shop re submits it. A couple of days later I get an email from silencer shop saying the ATF does not like my e signature. In the DocuSign program I selected a block letter type signature...no good. I had to go into my docu sign settings and made it allow me to do a free hand signature with the mouse on mu computer. After about 50 trys I goy one that looked like my name but nothing like my real signature. The ATF accepted that one and now im waiting for my stamp to be approved. Do yourself a favor and just hand scribble your signature on the form after you print it off the website.

• Upvote 2

I have hand signed them in blue ink, color scanned and copied them and submitted them and have been approved in the past. I don't recall the circumstances, but it was a time sensitive thing and needed to be tried. If it were a regular transfer I'd just have the buyer wait out the three days for the mail, since time on NFA transfers is in the twilight zone. HTH