New To Me 1927 A1

I've been lurking and looking for a while and finally decided I couldn't part with the cash for Thompson SMG. I considered a parts kit but figured it would frustrate me to spend the money and then not be able to fire it.

So, yesterday at a gun show I picked up a 1927 A1. Its an AO West Hurley with 17" barrel.

It is said to be unfired (and that appears true but will change with my ownership) but it had a little surface rust that wiped off easily and stock dings from storage.

The serial number is 7784 and if anyone can give an approximate date of manufacture, I'd much appreciate it.

I have a couple pictures here - http://www.users.qwest.net/~skurt1/Thompson/

I Paid $700. It seemed fair compared the price of new 1927's but perhaps some of you can give me an opinion about it.

Hi Acrobat,

Welcome to the board. Your West Hurley 1927A1 Semi-Automatic Thompson was manufactured in 1979. There were 1,634 1927A1 Thompsons manufactured in 1979; the serial number range that year were numbers 7640 through 9255. I am sure you will enjoy your purchase.

Thanks to TD and PhilOhio,

OK, I'm hooked - big time.

I haven't even fired this gun but already I'm thinking about the up-grades, buying a parts kit from Dan's and getting a SMG.

You people are evil - in the nicest way.

I travel most weeks but am home in Phoenix this week and will definitely shoot my 1927. I'll let you know what goes right and what goes wrong.

Question, mine has the ugly peep sight, is a Lyman worth the price???

BTW - my 80 year old Father-in-Law is as interested as I am. He carried a 1928 in the pacific during WWII.

He was a 17 Year old 120 lbs grunt in Light Artillery that was issued a 03-A3 but took the Thompson from a dead colleague. He told me that he would go into the field with the Thompson and 3 drums. They liked the sticks better as they were more reliable but they had the drums and used them. He only weighted 120 lbs back then (and not much more today) so that must have been a load to carry. He did the South Pacific including Bougainville.

He told me they used to use broken glass to scrape the mold from the wood parts on their weapons.

Of course, he also told me they used to take an extra back-pack filled with beer (3.2 beer) and take turns carrying it along with their gear...