New Member purchase help!

New member but been reading site for awhile. I'm wanting to buy a 1927 A1 to shoot. I have an American Historical Korean commemorative, pretty but useless. Havent appreciated in value and nobody is gonna shoot one. Sooo what I can gather if I'm correct is that the newer Kahr is a little more well made than the west hurley?? What are the go to or recommended mods to get one dependable and reliable to shoot? I'll want a drum and stick mags,recommendations?? I had a west hurley in the 80's and first time out drum fell out,mags did as well and compensator blew off barrel/came unscrewed and fell off. Traded off shortly thereafter! Thanks to all in advance for your time!!

Both Kahn and WH 's usually need work to run well. I'd look for an older Kahr, before they changed the barrel threads. The bolts on the Kahr's are also better at supporting the case head than the old WH with the square firing pin. The main mod I'd recommend is getting a GI mag catch and modding it so you can use standard GI mags. Good luck !

Hi & welcome. I'm new to this as well & from what I'm seeing about Kahr is that they don't seem to care much about how or if they work as long as they look good. This is the first time I ever had to send a gun back & right off the bat to boot. I didn't buy mine to be a wall hanger either so here I am trying to do what Kahr should have done to begin with. What I'm seeing is that unless you invest 10's of 1000's of $ on a original FA it's a crap shoot at best. If you decide to jump in all I can do is as the other poster, wish you good luck.

Kahr could upgrade the quality out the door ... If they did their guns would be priced more like the OOW SLR which starts at $4300.00 ... It's cheaper for Kahr to sell them priced as they are and then let the buyer deal with any issues with the guns whether by sending them back or having a Thompson gunsmith work on them. Once the bugs are worked out with the magazines and some polishing done to the feed ramps they are fairly dependable weapons and fun to shoot. That said, Kahr does have QC issues with parts ... I just returned a spare bolt and a firing pin that I purchased new because they were both bent when I received them ... On the up side they were good to deal with and sent me new parts in exchange that are in spec.

I hear you Oldtrooper but I find it hard to believe that some quality control would quadruple the price. I wouldn't mind (prefer actually) spending a bit more for a gun that will at least function safely out of the box & I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. If that is indeed their strategy I think it is a piss poor one. Perhaps they should list their products by quality levels so the buyer may have an idea of what the are getting instead of just the usual marketing bluster about what great quality their stuff is.

A= best we can do (actually looked it over & tried it out before sending it out)

B=Slung it together as fast as we could, looks good at a glance, so here - good luck

PS: I also own one of their pistols ( & have recommended) for self defense but this experience has not bolstered my confidence there. While that strategy may have got them another sale from me it could be the last. I would also hesitate to recommend them to anyone else.

They must be aware of these problems which means 1 of 2 things, either they are apathetic & have adopted the policy that Oldtrooper mentioned or they are simply incapable of getting it right. Either way it's not good news for the customer.

Edited by vanvock