Would U Shoot Reloads In A Colt Thompson?

Started reloading with a dillon sq deal b, using bullseye powder with 4.6 gms per. using plated 230gm bullets. Would u use these in a 21/28 colt or would u stick with factory ammo? Seems like I remember somewhere reading that reloads wern't as reliable as factory. Don't know why they wouldn't be, Just looking for some pros opinions. Also can u use lead nose bullets in a non compensated thompson or will the lead cause a lot of barrel fouling? Tks Mike

Same opinion on reloads as the others, mine but none from an unknown source. I also do not use cast bullets in any thing I shoot, more personal preference than anything else. I do not want to have to deal with cleaning lead fouling from the barrel.

I shoot nothing but my reloads in my 28A1 and M1. If a stranger wants to shoot them then I require factory loads.

I shoot lead in the M1 and Plated in the 28A1. Store bought lead sometimes fouls the bore. The bullets I cast are very hard and there is no leading of the bore.

I have to admit, If I was lucky enough to own a Colt, and still had my two military guns, I probably wouldn't shoot the Colt all that much.

Jim C

I've used my Square Deal press for about 15 years without issue. I always double check my powder weight every 100 rounds or so by pulling a case and weighing the powder. Never had a problem. Main thing is to set up in a place where you avoid distractions while reloading and you'll be fine.

All I've ever put through mine have been my handloads. But I will not allow anybody else's handloads to be used in it. Ever.

Very sound advice. A while back a dude shows up at our club with some .223 reloads a "friend" loaded for his bolt gun. The gun blew up on the first shot. An hour later another dude shows up with a Thompson Contender in .223 and notices a box of .223 ammo sitting on an unoccupied bench. You guessed it.

A lot more people are reloading these days because of the ammo shortages. I would love to shoot nothing but factory stuff but I shoot a lot and reloading is my only option. I believe the easiest way to get into trouble is to change containers with any of your components. Always label the new container with a large stick on label. We believe that was what happened to our two unfortunate shooters.

"Never share a foxhole with someone that is braver than you are".

Edited by zebcoboy