M1/m2 Serial #'s Wwii Thru Viet Nam

Does anybody know where I can go to find reference material documenting dates of manufacture, of M1/M2 carbines from WWII thru Viet Nam?

I'm doing a little research and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Production of post WWII carbines is very easy to document, there were no newly manufactured carbines after 1945 on government contract. Rebuilds, yes, but no contracts were given for new receivers.

War Baby, The US Caliber .30 Carbine - Larry L. Ruth

Does anybody know where I can go to find reference material documenting dates of manufacture, of M1/M2 carbines from WWII thru Viet Nam?

I'm doing a little research and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Production of post WWII carbines is very easy to document, there were no newly manufactured carbines after 1945 on government contract. Rebuilds, yes, but no contracts were given for new receivers.

War Baby, The US Caliber .30 Carbine - Larry L. Ruth

Roscoe,

I've got a M-1 that's got a barrel date of 6-43, and I had a friend a while back that had an M-2 that looked brand new, and it had a receiver made by Inland Division of General Motors. It seems hard to believe that what he had could have been a rebuild...it was just too brand new. I never checked the barrel to see what the date on it was but may get in touch with him to find out. Seems to me when I saw it that it looked like it was straight out of the box.

BTW, do you know if Frank Iannamico ever wrote a book about the M1's and M2's?

Roscoe,

I've got a M-1 that's got a barrel date of 6-43, and I had a friend a while back that had an M-2 that looked brand new, and it had a receiver made by Inland Division of General Motors. It seems hard to believe that what he had could have been a rebuild...it was just too brand new. I never checked the barrel to see what the date on it was but may get in touch with him to find out. Seems to me when I saw it that it looked like it was straight out of the box.

BTW, do you know if Frank Iannamico ever wrote a book about the M1's and M2's?

Rebuilds were meant to look brand new. No carbines were built on government contract post 1945. Inland's last carbine was built in May of 1945.

Larry Ruth is to carbines what Trace Hill and Frank are to Thompsons.

• 3 weeks later...

While Uncle Sammie didn't build any Carbines after WW2, there are some companies that assembled them from surplus parts, as well as building brand new ones with all new parts. It is possible some of these makes found their way to Nam. Here's a list of manufacturers from Wikipedia:

Alpine

Auto-Ordnance (now a subsidiary of Kahr Arms)

Howa made carbines and parts for the post-WWII Japanese and Thai militaries, and limited numbers of a hunting rifle version

Erma Werke made carbines and parts for the post-WWII West German military, and .22 replica carbines for export

Israel Arms International (IAI) of Houston Texas assembled carbines from parts from other sources

National Ordnance

Texas Armament Co.

Plainfield Machine Co. (later purchased and operated by Iver Johnson)

Universal Firearms - Early Universal guns were, like other manufacturers, assembled from USGI parts. However, beginning in 1968, the company began producing the "New Carbine", which externally resembled the M1 but was in fact a completely new firearm internally, using a different receiver, bolt carrier, bolt, recoil spring assembly, etc. with almost no interchangeability with USGI carbines.[40]

Universal was also later purchased by Iver Johnson.

The Iver Johnson company produced carbines in the style of Plainfield Machine Co. and followed the lead of Universal in producing a pistol version called the "Enforcer".

While anything is possible, someone bringing a carbine to VN , would be the equivalent of someone bringing water to the ocean. The US had millions of carbines and many of them went to VN. It was the perfect gun for that country.

As M16 production increasingly went to VN the carbines were no longer needed.

If someone is trying to sell you a commercial carbine from VN, I suggest you trade him for the Brooklyn bridge.

JimC