Are Things Looking Up On Form 4 Processing?

I currently am waiting on Form 4 clearances on a Savage M1A1, M3 Guide Lamp, UZI and Carl Gustav M45. Is there any reason these days to be optimistic in getting Form 4 approvals within 180 days? I SBR'd a different UZI last summer and it was almost 6 months to the day before approval came through. All the checks to ATF were processed as the ink on them dried.

Any reason to smile these days?

I currently am waiting on Form 4 clearances on a Savage M1A1, M3 Guide Lamp, UZI and Carl Gustav M45. Is there any reason these days to be optimistic in getting Form 4 approvals within 180 days? I SBR'd a different UZI last summer and it was almost 6 months to the day before approval came through. All the checks to ATF were processed as the ink on them dried.

Any reason to smile these days?

Montana Billy,

I had a 78 day transfer in the September to November 2009 timeframe.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

it all depends on the examiner. some are turning theirs in 6-8 weeks. others are 6-8 months. I have several form 4's, in each case from an individual to an FFL/SOT that are 6 months plus. it is very frustrating.

All the checks to ATF were processed as the ink on them dried.

The check processing is done in Atlanta and has nothing to do with operations in Martinsburg other than forwarding the paperwork to NFA Branch.

Is it true that a transfer to a trust is often faster than to an individual?

-wwiifirearms

At the end of the day, it all depends on the agent who is handling your papers, we all know this..... But to answer your question, think about it in a logical sense:

When you register to a trust or company there are no fingerprints, photos or local law enforcement sign off. The BATF sends your prints and photos to the FBI for a full background check, and then the BATF likely looks into your local law signature to make sure it's valid. So if they don't have to do those two very time consuming things that means the paperwork will go through faster.

Are there some examples where this wasn't the case? Undoubtedly..... but I'd say 99% of the time a trust or company approval will process way faster. Everybody I know who has done it has seen their stamp in 45days.

At the end of the day, it all depends on the agent who is handling your papers, we all know this..... But to answer your question, think about it in a logical sense:

When you register to a trust or company there are no fingerprints, photos or local law enforcement sign off. The BATF sends your prints and photos to the FBI for a full background check, and then the BATF likely looks into your local law signature to make sure it's valid. So if they don't have to do those two very time consuming things that means the paperwork will go through faster.

Are there some examples where this wasn't the case? Undoubtedly..... but I'd say 99% of the time a trust or company approval will process way faster. Everybody I know who has done it has seen their stamp in 45days.

When was the last machine gun amnesty period? Forgive me but I'm only 19 so I have not been in the game that long.... After the May 19th, 1986 ban were there any periods when the BATF allowed full auto registration and if so what were the requirements?

The other day you made the statement that you were 19 years old. Based on that since the legal age to own NFA is 21 you have not had a lot of personal experience with transfers have you?

When was the last machine gun amnesty period? Forgive me but I'm only 19 so I have not been in the game that long.... After the May 19th, 1986 ban were there any periods when the BATF allowed full auto registration and if so what were the requirements?

The other day you made the statement that you were 19 years old. Based on that since the legal age to own NFA is 21 you have not had a lot of personal experience with transfers have you?

Roscoe I do have NFA weapons registered under a trust in my name. I only have two items registered, so by no means am I an expert on NFA transfers nor do I claim to be. Any advice I give is from my own personal observation or experiences. The reason I recommend trusts to people buying NFA is because I have seen the time and hassles saved by doing so.

As far as the 21 age limit to own, I have been told this, but when I contacted the BATF they told me you could own NFA weapons at 18 (your state's law may say otherwise), and when I asked this I did not mention registering to a trust or company, just an individual.

If you can show me the actual text in the National Firearms Act of 1934 or the Gun Control Act of 1968 that says you must be 21 to possess an NFA weapon I will gladly admit I'm wrong, but I have never seen this text. I think people just assume that it's 21 to own NFA because you have to be 21 to buy a pistol from an FFL, this is a logical assumption, but an assumption none the less...

And even if you prove to me that somebody must be 21 to have an NFA weapon registered to them, mine are registered to a trust in which I am a trustee, so there's nothing illegal about me possessing them.

Please don't take my tone to be defensive or malice, I am by no means an expert as previously stated and I enjoy learning more from educated people like yourself and others on the board, but from the homework I've done these are the results I have come up with.

P.S. Sorry I'm not trying to hijack the thread!

Ive had an M1 in the system since July 2009!!! Still venting. Talked to the paper pusher in BATFE, was told to wait my turn!!

Do you know your "pending" date?

6 months is not uncommon right now, but yours *may* be getting a bit long in the tooth.

P.S. (added 3/17) Re: age restrictions

The NFA is silent in regard to age, however, some restriction is placed upon it by the GCA in that a licensee may not transfer a firearm to a person under the age of 21 or a resident of another state. There are two specific exemptions to that prohibition for rifles and shotguns which are eligible for transfer to those 18 or more. See 27 CFR 478.99. In a nutshell, acquiring from a nonlicensee or making yourself - no age restriction; acquire from a licensee - 21. Commentary made with the assumption no state laws conflict with federal.

Edited by The Lone Ranger

when I spoke to the gentleman who answers transfer status inquiries at the BATF, he indicated that while the number of full auto guns being transferred is down with the economy, the number of SBR's and suppressors being transferred has increased dramatically. He indicated that the total form 4 and form 3 traffic this year is up year to date as compared to last year.