Thompsons In Movies Part X

Also the case in the 1951 The Tanks Are Coming, all 1928s. Great movie if you like seeing lots of Sherman's.

"IF"? Whadaya mean "if"?! That's like saying "if you like seeing lots of Thompsons"! (well, to me anyway....)

It is a good movie, correct period vehicles including a couple rarely seen in movies - M32 recovery vehicle and M4 with M1A1 dozer blade.

I started my Army career in Armor - M60A1s which much like Thompsons are museum pieces now.

I looked for it and it is available on Amazon in VHS format....I'll probably buy it, I wasn't able to find it for a download....

I picked my copy of The Tanks Are Coming in DVD from Bell & Blade at the last Show of Shows. http://www.warshows.com/StoreFront.bok They are a good source for hard to find moives however I always search Amazon first because Bell & Blade can be a bit expensive some times.

• 2 weeks later...
I got in "The Tanks are Coming", found it on Amazon in DVD, great movie if you like to see real Shermans in action. I also picked up "Pride of the Marines" there was some Tommy action in that one too, but they added what sounded like a .50 cal soundtrack for it....really sounded funny....

I was watching the History Channel's "War in the Pacific" recently about the Marines and Army fighting across the Pacific. Many scenes of Thompsons in action. In one, there must have been four or five guys carrying Thompsons in the same scene! To me, it looked like a Thompson was the best gun to have in the jungle. Good stuff!

Watching "Paratroop Command" 1958...every paratrooper in the movie has a M1928A1...Very cool..

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS??!!!?? I've been hoping to find it on video for YEARS, now! I think I recorded part of it on my old Sony BETA machine, 25 years or so, ago.

LOTS of Tommygun action, I remember.

(Likewise for "The Steel Lady", except I only saw it on afternoon TV, 40-45 YEARS ago!! Still remember it. They dig up, what really is actually an M-24 Chaffee, completely

covered under the sand, repair the engine, and fight off Arabs/bedouins with the coaxial MG. Hey, it was maybe 40 years since I saw it. Any Thompsons in it? I don't remember now.)

If these are not in circulation, we should all petition the head of Bell and Blade to copy them onto DVD. They told me at the Louisville gun show that the head guy will sometimes do that (find a print of the film, and make it available).

Here's another really good Tommygun/paratrooper movie, "Screaming Eagles" starring(well maybe not starring) Tom Tryon, 1956(?) Contact Bell and Blade, and ask for these movies, fellow Thompson lovers. These would be worth buying...IMHO.

Watching "Paratroop Command" 1958...every paratrooper in the movie has a M1928A1...Very cool..

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS??!!!?? I've been hoping to find it on video for YEARS, now! I think I recorded part of it on my old Sony BETA machine, 25 years or so, ago.

(Likewise for "The Steel Lady", except I only saw it on afternoon TV, 40-45 YEARS ago!! Still remember it. They dig up, what really is actually an M-24 Chaffee, completely

covered under the sand, repair the engine, and fight off Arabs/bedouins with the coaxial MG. Hey, it was maybe 40 years since I saw it. Any Thompsons in it? I don't remember now.)

If these are not in circulation, we should all petition the head of Bell and Blade to copy them onto DVD. They told me at the Louisville gun show that the head guy will sometimes do that (find a print of the film, and make it available).

Here's another really good Tommygun/paratrooper movie, "Screaming Eagles" starring(well maybe not starring) Tom Tryon, 1956(?) Contact Bell and Blade, and ask for these movies, fellow Thompson lovers. These would be worth buying...IMHO.

Went to Amazon.com and found "Paratroop Command" on VHS as a double feature along with some movie about jet fighters. Anyway, couldn't take a chance of missing it for about

$12+. Other copies also available. Get one. You'll like it.

Well I just finished watching a copy of The Steel lady which really brought back memories as it was one of the first movies I saw as a kid. The stranded oil crew uncover a German Panzer IV tank that had become covered by sand and entombed the crew. They uncover the tank get it running and have to ourun a Bedouin gang wanting to recover a fortune in jewels secreted in the tank. No Thompsons but one of the strange things is the Panzer is equippped with a machine gun and as near as I can tell it's apparentely a Browning 1919 model! Perhaps the prop house didn't have access to a period German machine gun at that time. Even the ammo cans for it appear to be right out of G I supplies.

Jim

I DVR'd it off of TCM one night a few weeks back....if I figger out how to download it to my puter and burn it I'll make you a copy. It is a pretty cool movie...

Hey, that would be great. THANKS if you can, and thanks anyway, even if you can't. It's the thought that counts, you know.

(BTW, I ordered a VHS copy of it last night on Amazon. But I'd still love to have it available to watch on my iMac. If the VHS copy turned out to be better than the downloaded one, I could send it to you, or someone who can copy it for others, if that's legal.)

Paratroop Command update -

I emailed Steve at Belle & Blade about this movie, below is his reply -

"Yes, I can get it from a small studio. 29.98 on dvd."

If you are interested in this movie on DVD I suggest giving Belle & Blade a call - http://www.warshows.com/StoreFront.bok

.... . I started my Army career in Armor - M60A1s which much like Thompsons are museum pieces now.

Heck, what should I say - I started my tanker career on the original V-12 gasoline engine M48 tank. If the M60A1 is a museum piece, then I guess the M48 is pre-historic. Even more scary is the thought of what that makes me...

Balder

Edited by Balder