Andrewski Sterling Mk4

I just picked my Andrewski built Sterling Mk4 yesterday. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif It was built on a DLO Sterling tube, not a Sten tube. The cocking handle slot is in the same location as the original, including the large hole at the end, so the handle wasn't cut and rewelded and no special tools are needed to take it apart. John Andrewski's workmanship is great and the paint job is flawless. Now if the great cold snap of the past 50 years leaves PA, I'll try it out soon.

I tried to upload pix of my Sterling Mk4 but I don't know how to make the size under the limit. You can see the pix at the links below.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/090265.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/img/090270.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/img/090272.JPG

John C,... it is good to see activity, I just picked up my sterlings last week, but rainy weather cancelled range tryout on weekend.I have 2 Quinnel built catco sten tube IMA kit sterlings(whew, that`s a mouthful).Now I have to choose one to keep and one to send out west for partial trade on a BAR.I see what you mean about the special tool needed for disassebly... so far pretty easy to take apart,but I wish I knew before hand but ..oh well.I also had same trouble with downsizing pics,keep trying and post fix if you can.TIA. KEEPEM`SMOKIN`,out http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I haven’t been over here for quite awhile, nice to see some familiar ‘faces’.

I have never understood why this board has been so quiet.

I had a wonderful conversation with John A. about mk4’s and he asked “why don’t you build it yourself, you could probably do better than I?” I responded, I would if I had one of three things; a blue print, the jigs & fixtures, or a reliable sample. Not being able to locate any of the above, I had John do mine on a DLO tube. A 20 year dream come true, and a really sweet gun. Great guy John, I certainly recommend him.

I am going to sleeve the back of the barrel and re-chamber to eliminate case bulging; I do a lot of reloading. Anyone else have this problem?

By the way John C, your images are not found on Hunter anymore.

Hello PK. It's been a pretty funky day. ALL of my images on Hunt101 are gone and I can no longer upload. Not disallowed, just error messages. And my e.mails to the Administrator there are returned and marked "undeliverable". I think Nick is planning some server work so I'll re-post them here when the space is available.

I'm trying to drive some other Sterling owners here as I would like to see the same level of activity as the Tommy Board. There's gotta be more than just a few Sterlings (my poll) out there and this is the only Board I have ever found.

John does beautiful work and I expect my Mk4 will run just like s*** through a goose. It sounds like the Quinnell owners on the Board are having better quality product than the experience I had.

Where are you other folks located? I'm in eastern PA.

Well guys,... finally got to roadtest 2 Quinnell sterlings on Sunday,.. smooth,very smooth and the best part is they take sten,lanc,and sterling mags.Now the bad part,I must chose one towards a partial trade on a BAR...I kinda bonded with both,..oh well.The sterling sure comes apart nicely for cleaning...well made for sure.KEEPEM`SMOKIN`,out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Andrewski found a guy locally who was repainting H-D engine parts with a powder coat crackle finish that was better than he could dod in their shop. Mine was in the first batch that was done. The finish is even and appears pretty resistant to scratching.

John C.

• 2 weeks later...
Range Report: I finally got out yesterday with my Andrewski Sterling. No surprises here. It ran & ran & ran. Winchester, Remington, Olympic, Wolf, Special K, IMI Blue Tip. Not one hiccup. I was able to do double taps right away and singles once I stopped grinning and tried to do singles. The double 34 mag is a little heavy though when fully loaded. Great gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading about all the good luck and fun you fellas have been having with your Sterlings and I want to get in on the action.

I have VG Sterling parts kit and am about to spring for $3,200 DLO tube. How about some phone numbers and contacts of recommended builders that I can have the tube shipped to. I'm in SW Ohio but that really doesn't matter too much.

What is the cost range I can expect to pay for the build using a DLO tube?

Have any of you experienced case head bulging? I know of a guy who builds a Sterling lookalike but has designed it to use Sten not Sterling mags because of the deep throat of the Sterling barrel. He offered a silenced version to me for $4,500 in either 9MM or .45 cal. I'm real tempted. The .45 model uses grease gun mags. Interesting.

Hey MP43. $3,200? It looks like DLO raised his price again. I got mine for $2,500 right before he stopped selling for a few months. John Andrewski charged me $1k and it was well worth the money. I don't know what Quinnell charges to build a MK4 but I wouldn't buy one from him. I've handled several Quinnell Sterlings and read a lot of complaints from other Quinnell gun owners (not dealers, who generally don't complain about one of their own!) and I wouldn't buy one without seeing it first.

I hear Andrewski just bought a bunch of Sterling tubes from Jim McCloud so why don't you call him (603-746-4387) and ask if he is taking orders. Maybe you can save yourself a couple of hundred bucks.

I recall somebody mentioning case bulging recently but I can't find the post. Is the guy you know selling a PAWS gun? If yes, everybody says to stay away as they are cheaply made although I've never fondled one.

I don't see why anyone would want to design a Sterling using only Sten mags only since a properly manufactured MK4 will use both. I know Sterling barrels have regular and long chambers (to allow funky ammo to fit & fire) but this has nothing to do with using Sten or Sterling mags.

Buy the "Guns of Dagenham"!!!!