You Can No Longer Find Out If A Guns Registered

billie32

Just got off the phone with ATF-NFA Branch trying to find out if an MG08/15 Maxim that's turned up in an estate was registered. Everyone is pretty much dead, and a law firm called me up to find out. ATF will no longer provide dealers with any information unless it is a pending transfer to you. They told me that I would have to have someone from the estate call up and that they will not give me any information as the gun is not in my name (now it very well may not be in anyones name because all we're trying to do is find out if it's registered). Anyone else hear of this BS?

Well , things change . Last time was about 5 years ago on a Jap copy of the German MG 13 (?) . Had sat in a gunshop for 30 years or more , parents died , daughter was trying to sell. Called them up and they said they had three or four listed with that serial number as " Jap MG ". Would not give me any more info. She called them up with parent's names , business names , places they lived at , etc. None of them matched , so she had it cut up and sold it to me. I then sold it to another who is building a semi-auto out of it . It will speak again.

Chris

That is proper; Federal emplyees are prohibited from releasing tax return info to anyone not authorized to obtain it. Since the owner is deceased, the law firm can obtain it upon documenting authority to act on behalf of the deceased - a copy of the death certificate and appointment of executorship, POA, or whatever the case may be will suffice.

an 08/15 is a crap shoot - and might require some real work to determine if it is OK. Plenty of Maxims and other guns were registered with the wrong number over the years and since it is likely a common number (most 4-5 digit guns have multiple matches), getting a solid yes or no may not be possible without divulging info. If the atty working for the estate establishes an ability to lawfully get the info, a name search can be done. He can request an inventory of any/all registrations of the deceased.

Not to be a wet blanket, but more often than not, MAxims that have been left unattended to end up being bad either from never being registered or passed off, sometimes multiple time with no transfer. Don't take that as discouragement, just a random observation. It won't take that much effort to find out. Worst case scenario is it becomes a parts kit or can go to a govt museum.

well, after deciding that it most likely was not registered, I explained to him how to remove the sideplate and cut it, and we put together a deal on the parts kit...and after he told me to mail a check, he then emails me to tell me that he's going to donate it instead to some museum. lng story short, just another jerk around as usual...been a bunch of them the past few weeks with all sorts of stuff. guess i don't need to worry about this one anymore.

still interesting that ATF won't just tell an SOT if a gun was registered...a simple yes or no isn't really divulging any important tax information and saves everyone a bunch of trouble.

about a month ago mind you, i called on a Lewis gun and they told me absolutely everything, including who originally registered it and what town they were in when it was registered.

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind that you are legally abetting a crime, despite your intentions being good, when assisting someone with an allegedly unregistered MG in their possession. Anyone in possesion of an MG not registered to them, or not registered is in violation of Fed law and assisting that person can easily be constured as aiding a criminal act, or conspiracy, etc, etc. You get the point. I am fully in favor of trying to determnine if an MG is in the NFRTR and to whom it might possibly be registered, but all too often there is WAY TOO MUCH public disclosure on many of these boards by those either in posession of an allegedly unregistered MG or by those helping them. Despite repeatedly posting that if one has an unregistered MG, don't advertise it on the boards, posters continue to publically announce they have an unregistered MG or are helping someone with one. A phone call is simple and far more discrete. While the potential for being harassed or actually arrested and prosecuted for this is very low, there is a risk for all involved. There is no exemption for any private possession of an unregistered MG, period, regardless of one's intentions, or the generally accepted options that are usually offered as a way of preserving the MG or the parts. Waving your red hanky with the bull off in the distance is not very smart.....

Bob Naess

Black River Militaria CII

• 3 weeks later...

Hello out there!

I have my FFL 02/07 mfr and have built some post sample guns to date. I would like to know if any of you who do the same (build guns) have any experience with the Hermes ITF-K II engraver. I have been paying from $20 to $30 for each of my products to be engraved with my information and assigned serial number as required by the BATF. I would like to purchase an affordable engraver to do this myself. I have read on the machinists boards that 07/SOT's do use the kinds of engravers in lieu of a mill capable of engraving with a CAD system. Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Edo in Virginia 276 620 8595

• 4 months later...
Hello out there!

I have my FFL 02/07 mfr and have built some post sample guns to date. I would like to know if any of you who do the same (build guns) have any experience with the Hermes ITF-K II engraver. I have been paying from $20 to $30 for each of my products to be engraved with my information and assigned serial number as required by the BATF. I would like to purchase an affordable engraver to do this myself. I have read on the machinists boards that 07/SOT's do use the kinds of engravers in lieu of a mill capable of engraving with a CAD system. Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

I also am an 07/02 and I have made a few post samples . If they are to hard to stamp a number on I use a pencil engraver . As long as it meets the minimum BATFE requirements 1/16" in height and .003" in depth than it is acceptable .

We've owned a few engravers, and the best value for money in my opinion is to buy a used Gorton pantograph. Last one we purchased was $650. These are far superior to the New Hermes machines - much much more rigid.

When you find one, make sure it comes with collets as they're hard to find as well as letter copy. We just engrave with small diameter carbide ball end mills.

There's a bit of a trick to using the Gortons, so when you get one, as on somewhere like chaski.com or practical machinist.com for operation method. There's a heap of old retired machinists on there with plenty of time on their hands.

Hello out there!