Counterfeit Stevens 620 Trench Gun

Bought one of these to shoot in place of the expensive original. It's beautiful, being tight and minty inside and out. CTG duplicated the original wartime blued finish, and it's about the nicest job of refinishing that I've ever seen, with no waviness from overbuffing. Edges and markings are sharp, and screw heads are perfect. If you're really picky, you'll like one of these.

Functioning has been perfect. My original 1918 dated M1907 bayonet snicks right into place.

Can't recommend the seller (Bruce) highly enough, either. He's diligent and honest.

They also have these in a post war parkerized finish. The gun comes well packed in a hard case with outside carton, and includes a high quality reproduction M1907 sling.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem....?Item=235580213

Edited by TSMGguy

Bought one of these to shoot in place of the expensive original. It's beautiful, being tight and minty inside and out. CTG duplicated the original wartime blued finish, and it's about the nicest job of refinishing that I've ever seen, with no waviness from overbuffing. Edges and markings are sharp, and screw heads are perfect. If you're really picky, you'll like one of these.

Functioning has been perfect. My original 1918 dated M1907 bayonet snicks right into place.

Can't recommend the seller (Bruce) highly enough, either. He's diligent and honest.

They also have these in a post war parkerized finish. The gun comes well packed in a hard case with outside carton, and includes a high quality reproduction M1907 sling.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem....?Item=213227930

It does look nice. Much better than the Norincos I have seen.

These guns are American originals, beautifully built like tanks in the 1920s through the 1940s. Most share a common history: they were probably originally bought as a gift by family members to replace Dad's much loved but well used sporting shotgun. Dad continued to use his preferred shotgun, and the new Stevens saw little or no use, surviving in wonderful condition to this day. CTG combs shotgun rich Louisiana ("The Sportsman's Paradise") for the best of these, and does a wonderful job of conversion and refinishing, taking care to keep the matching serialed componants together.

Serial numbers of these, BTW, are usually lower (earlier) than the USGI WWII Stevens trench and riot guns.

My counterfeit Stevens 620 trench gun gets used much more than I thought it would, and it's become my house gun. I can see why only these, the 520s, and the Winchester Model 12s were retained by the government for use after WWII. Quality is excellent.

If you are trying to decide between the 520 and 620, I'd offer this: the top tang safety of my 520 "bites" the web of my hand during firing if I'm not careful. The 620 has a button safety behind the trigger, and is more comfortable to shoot. Otherwise, there is little to choose between the two models other than styling.

The model 620 was far more rare than the 520 in government service.

These guns will "slam fire", that is, they will fire when the bolt moves into battery if the trigger is being depressed. CTG cautions that this feature should not be used, and should be considered a design flaw of all 520s and 620s.

Don't know where CTG gets the reproduction bayonet mount/hand guard, but they are ruggedly well made of steel and look and function just right. They only lack the Stevens "S" mark of the originals.

I'm impressed with these.

Almost forgot, CTG is looking into Winchester Model 12 trench guns as a next project. These should be amazing. Bruce is saying that about the only problem now is barrels as the sporting gun barrels had a different taper than those used for trench guns. Bayonet mounts/hand guards will not fit sporting barrels, even when cut down and grooved.