Crates.... Gotta Love Them....

Does anyone have any pictures, dimensions or info on WWII ammo crates for the Thompson? From what I can tell there were two types of crates, one with loose .45 ACP ball ammo, (not the 1911 ammo crate) and then one that held PRE-filled magazines. I have a reproduction loose ammo crate, I want to build and stencil a magazine crate, but I would need dimensions and pictures of the crate to make the correct stencils. Thank you all in advance.

Did you google search this? I found many images.

I did, but was unsure on the authenticity. They help for stencils, but that's about it. Relics.org sells a reproduction crate, but they admit they just made up the info and size. I set up a crate display and have around 40 (mix of original and reproduction) but I want to make sure on dimensions and whatnot before I build.

I checked a 1942 edition of TM 9-1900 (Not the TM 9-1990 that Mk VII mentioned), and it only showed the M1911 marked .45 ACP crate. I don't currently have a TM 9-1990 in stock, or I'd check it out, also. The September 1947 edition of TM 9-1990 has really nice color plates in it. I have some scans from past copies that I've sold, but none for the .45 section.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I checked a 1942 edition of TM 9-1900 (Not the TM 9-1990 that Mk VII mentioned), and it only showed the M1911 marked .45 ACP crate. I don't currently have a TM 9-1990 in stock, or I'd check it out, also. The September 1947 edition of TM 9-1990 has really nice color plates in it. I have some scans from past copies that I've sold, but none for the .45 section.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Okay, thank you... I have pics of 1911 specific crates and .45ACP only crates from WWII, but I have only heard of the Thompson specific crate so I was curious. Thank you for the info though.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any pictures, dimensions or info on WWII ammo crates for the Thompson? From what I can tell there were two types of crates, one with loose .45 ACP ball ammo, (not the 1911 ammo crate) and then one that held PRE-filled magazines. I have a reproduction loose ammo crate, I want to build and stencil a magazine crate, but I would need dimensions and pictures of the crate to make the correct stencils. Thank you all in advance.

There is no crate for loose ammunition or prefilled magazines. From 1920 - 1942 ammunition was packed in 20 round cartons of which 100 were packed in a wood crate with a metal liner for a total of 2000 rounds. In 1943 the Army switched to the more commonly known 50 round box. 12 of these were put in a sealed "Spam" can (600 rounds) with two of those then packed in a wood crate. Photos of all can be seen in Meadows' US Military Automatic Pistols 1920-1945.

The arsenals did not pack ammunition in separate crates specifically designated for Thompsons.

There is no crate for loose ammunition or prefilled magazines. From 1920 - 1942 ammunition was packed in 20 round cartons of which 100 were packed in a wood crate with a metal liner for a total of 2000 rounds. In 1943 the Army switched to the more commonly known 50 round box. 12 of these were put in a sealed "Spam" can (600 rounds) with two of those then packed in a wood crate. Photos of all can be seen in Meadows' US Military Automatic Pistols 1920-1945.

The arsenals did not pack ammunition in separate crates specifically designated for Thompsons.

I don't think those ones from boardwalk empire have any historical accuracy. By "loose" I meant packaged in the 100 round boxes. Sorry I should have specified. I consider loose rounds simply being not loaded in mags. The 1911 crates I have we're packaged that was with the metal lining. I have not seem the spam cans for .45 just for enblocs in bandoliers. I will have to ad that meadows book to my list which seems to be growing and growing. So all crates were labelled .45 for 1911?

I don't think those ones from boardwalk empire have any historical accuracy. By "loose" I meant packaged in the 100 round boxes. Sorry I should have specified. I consider loose rounds simply being not loaded in mags. The 1911 crates I have we're packaged that was with the metal lining. I have not seem the spam cans for .45 just for enblocs in bandoliers. I will have to ad that meadows book to my list which seems to be growing and growing. So all crates were labelled .45 for 1911?

Ammunition was not labeled for the firearm, it was labeled for type ammunition. In this case M1911 is the cartridge not the pistol, same as Cal 30 M2 is not for a M2 carbine. The US military did not use 100 round boxes for 45 cal.