NFA Trust & Moving Out-Of-State?

Gearz

Say you have a Trust setup in an NFA-friendly state and have some items registered to said. Then you have to move to another NFA-friendly state. What are the mechanics of legally accomplishing that? Does the Trust have to be reformed in the new state and the items transferred and taxed?

Thanks for any insight. :)

The trust in itself is binding no matter what state you move to,,, but you must abide by the state's NFA laws.

If NFA weapons were not allowed in the state your moving to,, you'd be screwed.

You will have to notify the ATF, through Form 5320, so they know where the guns are at, and the state

to let them know that another gun nut is moving in and there location :-)

Of course, there's a lot of people hear that like to lawyer up.

If your so inclined, have at it.

My 2 cents,

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

Thanks for the reply and information. That is much simpler than I thought it would be. I was aware of having to make sure it was NFA-friendly first and notifying the ATF of the address change for individuals, but wasn't clear if the Trust could move from state to state without having to reform said. So is it just a matter of updating the Trusts paperwork to reflect the new address(es)?

Thanks again. :)

Edited by Gearz

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply and information. That is much simpler than I thought it would be. I was aware of having to make sure it was NFA-friendly first and notifying the ATF of the address change for individuals, but wasn't clear if the Trust could move from state to state without having to reform said. So is it just a matter of updating the Trusts paperwork to reflect the new address(es)?

Thanks again. :)

You should get the trust reviewed in your new state. Not all states have the same rules as it relates to trusts.