Colt TSMG With S/n Gound Off And Re-Stamped

I have been able to correct small errors on forms in the past but the serial number is a dead lock. One gun I had incorporated part of the model designation in the serial number, it was on one line, and I was denied correcting it by NFA branch. So that gun will always be serial number M2XXXXX even though it is in reality is incorrect.

I agree that this gun would forever be referenced / indexed in the ATF registry under the assigned IRS number. However, if the true serial number was found, that information could be added to the official record, at the next transfer, by being entered as "Additional Description or Data Appearing on Firearm" in block 3h (on Form 3) or block 4h (on Form 4). I think the same thing could be done between transfers by sending a letter with the information to the NFA Branch.

There must be hundreds if not thousands of discrepancies like this that have accumulated in the NFA registry since 1934. This is a a good reason to have an amnesty or re-registration, just to clear the bookkeeping errors. Someday it will have to be done, as the errors keep accumulating. No database can be kept "pure" over 80-some years.

I just did a transfer where I put in my purchase/transfer with the wrong serial number. When I sold it I just copied everything from my form 4 to the next one and it was returned as incorrect serial number. I checked and by golly I owned it for all those years with the wrong number. If anyone had checked the numbers they would not have matched the suppressor. Don't know what would have happened at that point. I crossed out the incorrect number put in the correct number and it went right thru.