Am I Missing Something? On Sturmgewehr WH M-1 Thompson, $19k

Posting for two reasons, does not appear to be a bad WH, appears to have had a good home since the individual purchased it, but am I missing something in his asking price? $19K. The pictures of the WH should a clean piece, some nice wood on it.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=164984

Has the market gotten that crazy? Or is it just the seller fishing? The WH guns I have see have been, toward the end of 2013, were down around $15K . But discussions on the prices of M-16s and Uzis, which appear to have gone crazy; I am wondering if the market is reaching for the sky in 2014?

I am down to just my USGI Thompson, from a high of six MGs back in the Nineties. Five of which I sold to pay for my house. The last six months I have been getting the itch to get a new NFA toy. Interested in another SMG or an full-auto assault rifle. But not certain I want to play at these prices.

Paul

I think we are seeing fluctuations in prices and sellers are fishing for what they can get. It doesn't mean that they will sell at that price. Make an offer! I just purchased a re-welded 1928 for 9k. Deals can be found. The one I'm buying needs work to look nice but for the price it's a bargain.

am down to just my USGI Thompson, from a high of six MGs back in the Nineties. Five of which I sold to pay for my house. The last six months I have been getting the itch to get a new NFA toy. Interested in another SMG or an full-auto assault rifle. But not certain I want to play at these prices.

Paul

Paul,

Here you go. is this the deal your looking for??

Jim C

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=164989

That gun is among the rarest of Thompsons......

Yep that's a good deal on the WH 1928. Not exactly what I am looking for. The Reising on Sturm is also a good deal at $4,500.

Paul,

The two guns mentioned above are good deals. But, if someone like you does not snap them up, then one of the big dealers will.

Then we will see a 20K West Hurley and a 7K Reising. The little guys will then notice what the dealers are asking and price their guns accordingly.

After a while these prices will be the acceptable norm and the newbies will pay the price.

Jim C

I bought a like new pre May DS Uzi in December for $4950 since then all the prices I have seen for the same but in poorer condition have been in the $6000 plus range. Maybe the prices are regional but that still does not account for the large difference in price.

I was only looking at Pre May DS IMI Uzi's, I was not interested in a conversion.

You need to take another look. UZI's like the top of the line Vector are now in the $10,000+ range with asking prices up to $14,000.

I have no idea what's driving this market or the prices.

Jim

You need to look at what guns are selling for, not the asking prices.

I have seen some overpriced guns listed on gunbroker for several years, the owner is just fishing for a chump.

Also, there is plenty of variance in NFA prices, 10% or 15% from one sale to the next

Edited by buzz

You are not missing anything, it is way over priced. In addition this would be a deal killer for me -

"I have used the Thompson for living history and reenacting and it has the barrel tapped for blank fire."

I rarely will ever buy a gun that has been reenactored, all to often there are a lot more problems than meet the eye once they have been used / modified for reenacting. In a case such as this you are looking at replacing the barrel at a minimum so add that in to the purchase price.

Posting for two reasons, does not appear to be a bad WH, appears to have had a good home since the individual purchased it, but am I missing something in his asking price? $19K. The pictures of the WH should a clean piece, some nice wood on it.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=164984

Has the market gotten that crazy? Or is it just the seller fishing? The WH guns I have see have been, toward the end of 2013, were down around $15K . But discussions on the prices of M-16s and Uzis, which appear to have gone crazy; I am wondering if the market is reaching for the sky in 2014?

I am down to just my USGI Thompson, from a high of six MGs back in the Nineties. Five of which I sold to pay for my house. The last six months I have been getting the itch to get a new NFA toy. Interested in another SMG or an full-auto assault rifle. But not certain I want to play at these prices.

Paul