I know this has been discussed already but some of my questions were not answered in doing my search. So here it goes.

I am going to try the mag catch mod on my own.

So here are my concerns

1). Does the weapon need to be field stripped to move the pivot plate?

2). When moving the pivot plate, does it come all the way out of the weapon or do you just move it enough so the protruding pins on the safety side are flush with the receiver frame, or does the entire trigger mechanism need to be removed from the weapon? (I hope not)

3). When removing the mag catch itself, does it spin towards the front of the weapon or the rear?

4). When reinstalling the catch, does a new spring need to be installed or can the original one be used?

5). Does the spring need to be compressed or will it compress when it the catch starts to be reinserted?

Thank you in advance. I want to do the mod, I don't want to ruin my mags especially my 20 rounders.

easier stripped but could be done assembled, the pivot plate only needs to be pushed back enough to be flush with the face allowing the mag catch to rotate fully, as it rotates push the shaft of the mag catch and it will come out, the spring will continue to try to rotate the catch so keep the thumb against it to prevent the catch scraping the trigger/finger hole.

once far enough out to clear the width of the lower let it rotate with the spring, the spring will relax then pull it all the way out.

you should use a new spring as pulling out the catch can stretch it,

assembly is fiddly but twist the new spring on the mag catch, locate the end of the spring in the hole in mag catch, align the spring end and mag catch shaft in the lower, you now need to rotate the catch anticlockwise so the end of the catch clears the trigger/finger hole at which time push it in all the way, keep pressure rotating to prevent the catch end scratching the trigger/finger surface, once fully in let it rotate to the normal position and push the pivot plate back.

may want to try a couple times with the old parts because as said when pulling out the mag catch the spring is still trying to rotate it and can stretch when pulling.

I know this has been discussed already but some of my questions were not answered in doing my search. So here it goes.

I am going to try the mag catch mod on my own.

So here are my concerns

1). Does the weapon need to be field stripped to move the pivot plate?

2). When moving the pivot plate, does it come all the way out of the weapon or do you just move it enough so the protruding pins on the safety side are flush with the receiver frame, or does the entire trigger mechanism need to be removed from the weapon? (I hope not)

3). When removing the mag catch itself, does it spin towards the front of the weapon or the rear?

4). When reinstalling the catch, does a new spring need to be installed or can the original one be used?

5). Does the spring need to be compressed or will it compress when it the catch starts to be reinserted?

Thank you in advance. I want to do the mod, I don't want to ruin my mags especially my 20 rounders.

You can push out the pivot plate without removing the lower receiver (trigger frame) from the upper receiver

but you will not be able to reassemble it without having it off with the exception that you find a way to

keep the trigger parts in place. This would not be easy and just taking off the trigger frame would

be MUCH easier. I wouldn't do anything yet unless you have the armorer's DVD for Thompsons from

the AIG.

T Hound

We did this not long ago on a WH, I think there is some posts to the experts I did with questions. ( do a search maybe) Also I downloaded a youtube video on stripping the frame down online and studied that. Also a picture breakdown of the frame components-

Installed a new GI one from Omega, seems to work fine now.

Easy, just do a lot of self-education.

All about thumbs and taking your time.

This was on a WH and had a Colt 21 next to it as a model.

Always ask questions, Gijive does this blindfolded.

FYI- This was a FA model WH. Don't think it makes much difference on the mag catch ?

Edited by OCM