On my TM1, the rear sight has a v notch at the top and an apature (hole) underneath it. The apature shoots low at 25 yds, the v notch is right on. So I use the v notch, but I was wondering which one is the long range sight? I think it should be the notch, but that is the reverse of how my particular gun performs. Does anyone know the answer?

I believe you are right on the length part. But if the M1's are anything like the 27A1's the sights aren't made to original spec either. I think this also would contribute.

On my 1927A1 the rear ladder sight in the down position is shorter then a Lyman original and the front sight on the compensator is taller than an original Cutts. That being said I can't say yet whether original sights are a cure for off sights yet.

Currently my gun is at the smith getting a real Cutts fitted to a Green Mt. Barrel and milled for a detachable buttstock adapter. I have a Lyman in wait for the finished project as well. It'll be a while but when finished I'll do a post on my guns fix up and the results.

On the original Lyman sights for a 10.5" barrel the peep was for 100 yards and the notch for 250 yards. I don't know how that translates to your case. Edited by Kilroy