My First Thompson Build

so I finally got around to it and made a functioning 28a1 from a philly display receiver. Yes it is my shops post sample, so nobody can say im not nfa compliant. I did all my own 28a1 markings and parked the entire kit. I learned a lot about the Thompson machining the receiver out, but the fun was loading up a 50 rd drum and letting her go...not a hiccup....I did good.im wondering if this receiver needs to be heat treated now or if bob had it heat treated before he sent it.

Edited by MARK2112

The receiver is stress relieved so it does not/will not bend or warp when it is machined into the thin

sections - especially the cross section thru the mag cutout and ejection port.

The receiver is 4140 steel. This is a high tensile strength steel - much stronger than any original

gun. The receiver is, relatively speaking, soft at about 190 Bhn. I believe that these are good mechanical

properties for this gun that basically has a hardened steel block sliding back and forth in the receiver.

The steel is strong enough to absorb impact of the bolt, yet soft enough to resist failure due to fatigue cracking.

I have been making receivers/guns for over 30 years now. Most of the guns are at rental ranges where

they receive constant use - far beyond what was ever intended for any gun - hundreds of thousands of

rounds. If I am to believe the customer I know of one gun with over 1 million rounds thru it.

Original M1928A1 receivers were "heat treated" from the middle of the receiver to the front, but when

hardness tested they are only slightly harder than the rear section. This light hardening was done for

wear resistance, not strength.

It would not be appropriate to hardened the receiver because then it would not be able to absorb the

hammering of the bolt. However, during normal use when the bolt slams shut the cartridge acts as a shock

absorber and you do not get steel-on-steel impact. You only get that when you pull the trigger on an empty

gun. Of course, in the back the impact is conveyed to the receiver thru the buffer.

Bottom line - it is not necessary or desirable to "heat treat" the receiver.

Bob

Great news,

understanding why that .250 keyway cutter was used in the front perplexed me at first.why is it there?

I think its for bolt clearance,and do we really need an oiler?

She ran 50 rds without fault after some minor filing with that pesky blish lock channel.all in all what a great learning experience. Thanks for a great product bob....ill be back for another soon.

20150422_125347_HDR.jpg

this is not nearly as nice as my display.....but she shoots.we are going to do a savage commercial with this one in a carbonia bluing.i was told just to make a blaster and when the man seen it he got all excited and said " lets make this one pretty".the engraving isnt to my liking,id pay to have somebody else do it because finding the right engraving tool and font is a bitch.

20150422_125353_HDR.jpg

Edited by MARK2112

that darn font, I have resorted to digitising each letter of the alphabet and numbers so I can engrave a dummy, anyone have the history on engraving font? was it a widely used font years ago and vanished or custom designed for AO only?

just curious

You should have engraved it,but he didnt want to spend the extra money on it...ugh

i used mastercam to cnc engrave it with a dead sharp carbide engraving bit........DRs engraving on his 21s is absolutely perfect,he said he pantographs it at another shop. ..... $350.00 though.