Mismatched Upper & Lower Price Factor on Thompson M1/M1A1?

I know every C&R Thompson is judged on it's overall condition & originality, so, in an example of a C&R M1/M1A1 Thompson

with mismatched upper & lowers (Auto-Ordnance upper & a Savage lower for example), how much of an impact on value is there, if any, on the mismatch alone?

Thanks for your learned opinions, guys!

Edited by azboater

Matching numbers are always going to be more desirable in any gun, everything else being equal.

As far as value, that's always going to be up to you and your wallet.

I would not hesitate to pay around 20% or more for a matching number Thompson, if there was a choice.

But, an M1A1 with no number can also be original, and it seems a lot more M1 patterns got mixed during rebuilds.

I would never worry about not matching in a shooter.

However, there is something to be said for substituting a nice matching number lower with a parts kit lower

for shooting purposes.

Hope others will offer their view.

Edited by mnshooter

I wouldn't let a mismatched lower on an M1 bother me too much

The M1 type Thompsons are very frequently RIA rebuilds with a parkerized finish and a mix of parts

I think that arsenal rebuilt M1s and M1A1s are the best deal going in the MG world

You can get a mint condition 100% USGI Thompson for 18k to 20k

Find me a better deal than that

plus the rebuild is a legitimate part of the gun's military history.

Of course, the condition and originality of the gun is what establishes the price among collectors

so the more of a Frankenstein the gun is, the less you should pay

I wouldn't let a mismatched lower on an M1 bother me too much

The M1 type Thompsons are very frequently RIA rebuilds with a parkerized finish and a mix of parts

I think that arsenal rebuilt M1s and M1A1s are the best deal going in the MG world

Find me a better deal than that

plus the rebuild is a legitimate part of the gun's military history.

Of course, the condition and originality of the gun is what establishes the price among collectors

so the more of a Frankenstein the gun is, the less you should pay

Amen Brother!

I wholeheartedly agree.

I appreciate your perspective, Buzz, based on what has been going on price wise on Gunbroker with "Mint" Thompson M1's, or M1A1's, It sure seems the days of 18k-20k prices for guns that fall into that category are gone, they seem to be already at the 25k plus range IF you can find them......West Hurley guns seem to be at 15k plus.

USGI M1A1 (Sold 5/31/15)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485434012

West Hurley M1A1 (Sold 6/14/15)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=487062967

Edited by azboater

I would think that if the gun was mismatched and arsenal refinished with all appropriate arsenal markings it would have legitimacy and value would not take a big hit. I think there is a bunch of Frankenstein guns out there that should take a hit in value but apparently not enough of the buyers visit this site before purchase and have no idea what they are getting and as a result, they may take hit if the bubble ever burst on this market and buyers get more selective.

I should have said "excellent rebuild" instead of "mint" when I was quoting the 18k to 20k figure

There are plenty of military guns out there that were rebuilt and then mothballed, from a functional standpoint they are almost like a brand new gun

That's not the same as a mint original gun, which would be worth much more