Pre dealer sample Colt BAR - What's it worth?

20K plus or minus, depending on it's condition and originality.

Do you have any photos to share?

-Darryl

Edited by darrylta

The fact it has an early Colt BMR receiver is a ++++.

You could always try to find the original components to bring it back to it's once WWI glory if you so desired.

The original furniture with the hump back stock would be tough to find, the other stuff is

readily available.

If you can get it for 20k, it would be a decent buy with all of it's possibilities.

Darryl

BMR-3.jpg

BMR-5.jpg

BMR-2.jpg

BMR-4.jpg

Val Browning-2.jpg

Prices of pre May BARs are on the rise from what I have been seeing. The NESA BAR I bought several years ago was 11K but now I am seeing examples in worse condition being offered in the 15K range.

I may have been a little off on my 20K price.

I've pretty much seen the "pre's" fetch about 50% of a transferrable gun in like condition.

I have no info on what a nice WWII BAR is going for these days. It would be 50% of that price.

Roscoe would be great resource on that info.

I must have got hung up on it's BMR receiver I guess, I paid close to 40K for my

BMR on a form 4, several years ago.:-)

Sorry,

Darryl

For pre May Colts I could see 20K being possible depending on condition and originality. If one has been through a rebuild and parkerized returning it to WWI condition might do more harm than good.

I have seen military C&R BARs being offered in the 35K range whether they sold for that or not I cannot say.

I bought it for $16.6k It's more than the current other pre May BAR A2s I see for sale, but those are not Colts. Colts a hard to come buy, so I figured, what the hell, why not?! Getting a Colt BAR for $16k aint bad. I'll post pictures and a video of it once I get it in a month or two.

Michael,

Can't wait to see it!

Darryl

The pre May NESA I bought several years ago. Some nitwit tried to turn it into the a WWI version fortunately this individual did not screw with the receiver finish and it was just a matter of replacing parts to bring it back to its original 1943 configuration. The idiot also ruined the original AOC marked barrel firing blanks in it which caused the biggest expense replacing the barrel.

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/roscoeturner/BAR/BAR1_zpsprdzrxkw.jpg

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/roscoeturner/BAR/BAR2_zpsre1qledu.jpg

Great looking gun, did OOW do any rehab to it?

I think their the PK of the BAR world.

-Darryl

Thanks. That's nice looking. Mine's kind of the opposite. Ww1 gun turned into a2 and marked such. It was probably arsenal done for ww2 then was never used and left overseas until post 1968, so I'm going to leave it as is. It's part of its story, and I like the a2. At the end if the day too, it IS an A2, just using an old Colt gun they had laying around. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

Great looking gun, did OOW do any rehab to it?

I think their the PK of the BAR world.

-Darryl

Thanks. I did all the work with the exception of the barrel replacement, I had OOW do that.

Chasing down a WWII era bipod was probably the hardest part.

When I was buying pre-86 dealer samples (1982/1983) from ARMEX (Broderick, California) they had 1918A2 BARs for $350, but the buyer could pay a little extra (I recall it being about $50) to get the manufacturer of your choice. Almost paid that to get one made by IBM (I carried that one in the Army) but $50 was a lot of money back then so I got a NESA (still have it). Should have bought a Colt.

Still have the old ARMEX catalog with those long gone prices (most expensive one I bought was a MKI Bren for $595). By the way, the ATF in those days didn't even try to figure out the real manufacturer for most non-US guns. The MG34/42 forms were simply marked "German Manufacture" and the Brens were "British Manufacture".

MG34bar....those are some nice prices you got! I paid about 40 times more haha. Oh well, the good ol' days are long gone, and I wasn't even alive for them. In 1983 I wasn't even a thought in my parents head.

Yes, you should have bought a Colt, but hey, for $350, I'd say you did alright :) Enjoy her!