Reloading large cartridges - 14.5 X 114 - PTRS & PTRD

rgarcia

Hi, I have the 2 WW2 Russian Anti-Tank rifles - PTRS and the PTRD, does anyone know of someone who is reloading the cartridges by chance?. They are the 14.5 X 114 MM, I need the powder charge - type of powder and quantity to do reloading. I am also looking for any reasonable priced factory rounds, projectiles, brass that are available for sale.

Thanks,

Richard

The best answer to this question is Don't reload for the 14.5mm. There is no powder available in the US that is safe for use with this cartridge. I had a gun for some time and never was able to shoot it. I spoke with Kent Lomont about loading the round with some of the 20mm powder we use in the Solothurn and he showed me a hand that was missing finger and thumb parts. He said the powder is not right and when temps drop outside it is really hard to light. He was test firing 14.5mm he and a friend had loaded for govt testing and had a hang fire that blew the receiver apart on his PTRS. He ended up losing some finger and thumb parts due to this. The powder used originally is a large grained slow burning powder. It is a high pressure round running around 62-65,000 psi and the PTRS wasn't intended for that much pressure so you can't even shoot new made ammo. Downloading by 10% is frequently suggested but its not a very good suggestion. You are looking at a high pressure round regardless and one mistake may be too much. The guy at CDSS in spokane washington was selling ammo he loaded but I know of 2 guns blown up firing it. We pulled some down and found a ball powder like the 20mm stuff inside with turned brass bullets. My recommendation is that you don't shoot the thing. I'm sure its possible but the question is whether or not its worth it.

good luck to you

Frank

Is anybody loading for the 20mm Hispano?

Yes but I'm not one of them. Your best bet is a post on the Subguns.com reloading board or the NFA board. I know a couple guys out there who load for the hispano and shoot them.

Frank

• 1 month later...