Why are there so few Lewis Guns for sale today?

I have a deactivated Lewis Gun that i have owned prior to being a class 3 dealer.Because of my advanced age i gave up my firearms licenses but i have a number of WW1 and WW2 deactivated machine guns from various countries.

I am ready to part with a complete Lewis gun as used in the trenchs not arial etc.

I looked for prices and used a well known site for militaria.

They have vickers for sale.at $5300 but just one lewis gun for sale at !2 K. That seems a very high price. Are they that scarce?

What would be a fair price and where is the best site to advertise for sale.?

I am a newbie to this site so please forgive my sophomoric question and whether it is an appropriate question to ask here.

And if you think Lewis guns are difficult to find, try finding a Bren. On the two major boards (Subguns and Sturm). you will see Lewis guns maybe 2-3 times a year. You can go 2-3 years w/out seeing a Bren. I was able to pick up a Bren about 7 yrs ago after looking for several years. It's still on of my favorite guns to shoot. I have shot a Lewis .303 gun, and while a nice gun to shoot, I still prefer the Bren.

britrecko: Are you in the US? Your handle suggests you are in GB? If in the US, is the Lewis registered? $12K for a registered Brit Lewis is within the ballpark for value of a Deactivated WAr Trophy and even a live gun. The quote of $5300 for Vickers does not make sense without knowing the status of the gun: semi-auto, post-May etc…..