Group industries Bar full auto

If you search this forum, you'll find discussions re: the Group Industries BAR's. Prior to considering one, I was advised to check the frame opening for the gas piston slide assembly to verify that it was square and centered in the frame--as this was apparently a trouble area on some pieces. The one I was inspecting was perfect. That was several years ago, and it has performed flawlessly ever since.

• Upvote 1

Yep , when the kids took over the quality went downhill . As was said , check for squareness and , if possible , test fire it before purchase .

If not square , you can buy a offset slide assembly to correct it from one of the big FA gunsmiths , Stan Andruski ( misspelled , I know ) , to correct it into a functioning gun , but it will never be right and value takes a big hit .

.Chris

Just finished total restoration of a Group BAR and have done several others. No problems with any of them. All three were in the serial range between 00070 and 000110. Makes no sense to condemn the whole lot due to some that were not built correctly! I suspect there might be a few of the ones with faulty alignment that have not been fixed by now as is the case with the West Hurley Thompsons, many reman M60s, Stemple guns, HKs and a lot of other aftermarket MGs made between '68 and '86. Keep in mind that these are repro BARs and that particular provenance allows them to be repaired at any time, mostly with minor or without any hit to the value. The quality of manufacture of the GI BARs is really excellent overall, in my opinion, and offer an excellent value for those with less money available to spend on a vintage BAR. Having reactivated BARs of all the other makers, GI BARs don't suffer in comparison.

Edited by Black River Militaria CII

• 2 weeks later...