Correct grip screw for original GI pistol grip wood, on Kahr AO?

I have a Kahr TM1, and I am in the process of swapping out the wood for genuine original WWII wood. I replaced the buttstock, and today my pistol grip came in. Not sure if that's the proper name? It is the grip right next to the trigger. NOT the foregrip. Anyway, the buttstock screwed right on with the original Kahr screws. The pistol grip seems a little off though. When I put the Kahr screw through it, there isn't much sticking out from the top to screw in to the frame. When I look at the Kahr wooden grip, it appears the wood is countersunk deeper. I really don't want to modify the WWII wood, if I don't have to. I was able to get the grip to attach just fine without forcing anything, but I'd probably feel better with more threads going in to the frame.

Am I ok the way it is, or is a WWII original screw going to fit better?

Edited by MisterB

Be careful of the thread. I believe an original WWII grip bolt would have a l4-24 thread. This is not common at all, today. Check the thread on the Kahr bolt before you order as I'm not sure if they used this obsolete thread. I wouldn't be concerned making the GI grip slightly deeper to use your bolt.

Bob D

GI pistol grips arent expensive or hard to find...id just drill out the bottom of your GI grip a 1/4" and recess the screw....its not a $700 vertical fore grip that comes up 1x-2x a year...its a $40 pistol grip that there is 20 of on GB right now....

GI pistol grips arent expensive or hard to find...id just drill out the bottom of your GI grip a 1/4" and recess the screw....its not a $700 vertical fore grip that comes up 1x-2x a year...its a $40 pistol grip that there is 20 of on GB right now....

Things have changed. They are unfortunately hard to find. There isn't a single one for sale on Gunbroker right now for an M1. There are some for a 1927, but those don't fit because they don't have the notch. http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=thompson+m1+grip And, yes... I tried searching by other terms too, but can't find anything.

I purchased one recently, but had to get it on ebay, and even then it was slim pickins. Had to find one out of the Ukraine. Took several weeks to get here.

now you have to decide----reproduction screw? or authentic? and how do you tell the difference.....i spent $2 more and bought mine from Russia to make sure it was authentic...it had wear, so i assumed it was the real deal.....funny how ive become about my thompson and it sounds like youve become about yours....

now you have to decide----reproduction screw? or authentic? and how do you tell the difference.....i spent $2 more and bought mine from Russia to make sure it was authentic...it had wear, so i assumed it was the real deal.....funny how ive become about my thompson and it sounds like youve become about yours....

I definitely prefer authentic on my Thompson wherever possible. I can't imagine there's a huge demand, much less lots of money to be made by someone making fake screws for these guns, so if it looks like the originals do, I would think you're safe. If it's got some wear, all the better.

It amazes me how much better quality the authentic stuff is. I bought a new production Kerr sling. Oh, man. What a piece of junk. I couldn't stand even looking at it. Ended up finding the real deal, and boy is it made better.