Need a 1928A1 or M1A1 mag catch

I'm looking for an original pre-1945 M1A1 unissued condition mag catch.

It has to have original blued finish, with no rust pitting at all.

As an alternative, a 1928A1 mag catch in similar condition would work.

Edited by buzz

Sorry about that.Just looked at the last two I bought in 2017, They were perfect with all original blue intact and no rust...There were original Factory tool marks ,but no pits..Guess I got lucky ...Rod

Sorry about that.Just looked at the last two I bought in 2017, They were perfect with all original blue intact and no rust...There were original Factory tool marks ,but no pits..Guess I got lucky ...Rod

I bought one from there, it had pitting.

So I emailed them and asked for a "hand-picked" catch, said i would pay extra, etc.

They elected to process a return and refunded my money.

Hey buzz, are you particular about the manufacturer? Is it for a spare, just for your collection?

Andrew

I have a nice RIA rebuild Savage M1A1. Typical parkerized arsenal refinish.

The mag catch on it has a small amount of pitting, it just kind of bugs me.

So I'm trying to find a minty replacement to put on the gun.

Ideally, I'd like to get an M1A1 catch but my impression is that they are hard to find.

I don't think i would keep a spare of a mag catch, I don't think it's likely to wear that part out.

Any WWII manufacturer would be fine.

Hey buzz, are you particular about the manufacturer? Is it for a spare, just for your collection?

Andrew

I have a nice RIA rebuild Savage M1A1. Typical parkerized arsenal refinish.

The mag catch on it has a small amount of pitting, it just kind of bugs me.

So I'm trying to find a minty replacement to put on the gun.

Ideally, I'd like to get an M1A1 catch but my impression is that they are hard to find.

I don't think i would keep a spare of a mag catch, I don't think it's likely to wear that part out.

Any WWII manufacturer would be fine.

Yes, the M1A1 catches are definitely harder to find. I only have 1 that is on a very worn parkerized 10,xxx serial trigger frame.

But I do have a near mint one with a 'B' stamp (Gussack Mfg co.). I will take pictures tonight and post them here.

Andrew

Here are a few pictures of a 1928 and a M1/A1 magazine catch. Basically the M1 catch is not machined to hold a drum magazine in place (which, obviously a M1/A1 can't accept a drum magazine anyway).

1. 1928 on top, M1 on the bottom

IMG_20170627_175505.jpg

2. 1928 on the left- you can see the the thicker part machined for holding a drum mag. The M1 is on the right- simpler and faster to machine (and obviously cheaper.

IMG_20170627_175451.jpg

My guess for why the M1 mag catches are scarce is that since there probably was plenty of spare 28 catches so the only M1 catches we're with the guns. Meaning there was probably no need to machine any spare M1 mag catches. Just my guess. Maybe someone here can add to that, or correct me.

Andrew

Buzz,

Here are a few more pictures of the 1928 catch I have. It has zero rust or pitting, only machining marks. The bluing is excellent. It is a nice dull blue, I wiped it clean for better pictures. See for yourself. PM me if you're interested.

IMG_20170627_175420.jpg

IMG_20170627_175405.jpg

IMG_20170627_175344.jpg

IMG_20170627_175323.jpg

IMG_20170627_175302.jpg

Andrew