Gunbroker 1921 Odd model & serial.

Transferable Colt 1921 Thompson Machinegun w/Extras

Military lower. But the" Model Of 1921" Looks odd. And the C.S.A NO 5882 is obviously not correct. Maybe the way they did it for the amnesty registration. Owners initials. Says maybe some type of gangster affiliation. Could the entire model and serial number info have been removed and redone? Doesn't look like the metal has been disturbed but the finish is funky, maybe just a good job.

Needs Colt expert opinion. No interest. Just thought it would be good for everyone to see.

Appears to be a welded reman done post Amnesty. First pic clearly shows on forward left side of receiver a slight but large rectangular depression that has been burnished and blued that is probably a welded and repaired cut. I have an idea of who is C.S.A. but will refrain from mentioning it until I can verify my hunch.

Other Colt parts are not noted or pictured that need to be identified for a more complete inventory. Paperwork will reveal other details. FWIW

Interesting

I am along the lines of Black River Militaria CII. I believe that the Thompson has had someone somehow fill in a ground out serial number, smoothed it out, remarked and also refinished the upper. I am unsure if the receiver was cut.

Here is where it gets VERY interesting to me, they seller states it was taken from a gangster Toughy, need to research SVDM and Gopher States Mining. There were 7 Thompsons identified as having been shipped to Gopher States Mines Company but NO. 5882 was NOT listed in the shipments that were the subject of the SVDM testimony. Why I mention this is the Toughy gang, not sure of the spelling was supposedly the actual receivers of these Thompsons. But I am sure they obtained more Thompsons than just what was identified in the SVDM testimony, perhaps NO 5882.

Another board member Giant Panda and I, inspected and pulled the barrel off another gangster Thompson in the possession of the Sheriff of Jackson County, MI., it was serial NO 5518 and was connected to the SVDM testimony, Gopher States Mines Company and perhaps Toughy gang. It had evidence of someone trying to acid ID the serial numbers. We did connect NO 5518 directly with a criminal that was arrested but could not tie him to the Toughy gang. It was the subject of a story for TATA.

DSC_0014.JPG

Just wondering if NO 5882 was in fact seized from Toughy or a member of that gang. Maybe someone pulled the barrel, grabbed the serial NO from there under the barrel and remarked. I have no access at the moment to Gordon's serial number books to look further.

There is a rare Books FBI style case in that auction as well.