Ciener “All” Thompson 22lr kit on Gunbroker

Hello everyone. Knowing the interest in 22 lr conversions. This post is just a heads up for anyone looking for a 22 conversion for their Thompson. This is not my auction and I dont know the seller. It is a Ciener All kit with 2 mags. Auction # 902164010. Good luck.

I am sorry. I thought I was helping out the fellow board members that might be interested. I was fortunate to pick up a Merle Kit a couple weeks ago on Gunbroker for $360.00. Trying to pass on the good fortune. 😀

I have a Ciener Basic kit for a 28 Bridgeport. It runs good, but really fast. Like 1200 rpm fast. 3 trigger squeezes and your 30 rd mag is empty. You have to tune the recoil spring to the ammunition you are shooting. Unlike the Merle kits the Ciener bolt body is all aluminum including the sear cuts.

Merle got his start in kits by adding a steel plate to the Ceiner bolt.

That success led him to his own production runs of kits.

These had two advantages:

It slowed the ROF down from the MG42 to a 1928 .45.

It also converted the bolt nose and sear surface from aluminum to steel.

Merle also created the nicest .22 50rd drum/adapter plate that has ever been made.

In my opinion, the other major advantage was getting to know and doing business with Merle (and, not with JAC).

The loss of Merles wife and his health problems did cause difficulties towards the end of his business, but

Merle and Karen were two of the nicest people one could hope to know.

Edited by mnshooter
  • Upvote 1

FWIW, the GB selling price of the kit was at the MSRP around the last that J.A.C. had them in stock . I priced out one the same as the one that was on GB at the time (autumn, 2015), but passed. One of the reasons I didn't get one was that I figured I'd have to have a steel sear plate installed, and I wasn't sure how much that was going to cost. No regrets as I have Uzi and M16 .22 conversions to scratch my full auto .22 itch.

MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.