MP38 serial numbering on grips

On MP38s, we're there always numbers on the grips and on the bakelite, or was that a unique feature of certain manufacturers and/or certain years? I'm trying to work out whether unnumbered grips are replacement parts ...

Not always. Earlier guns had serial numbers near the top of each grip, while later guns often did not. I've never seen a 41 MP38 with serials on the grips. '41 was the last year of MP38 production. By then the MP40 was being manufactured by three contractors, with parts from many subcontractors.

IIRC, for Erma made guns, you will almost always find the 280 inspection mark on the inside of the grips, whether there's a serial number on the outside or not. If the mark is missing, you're looking at a grip made as a spare or otherwise not built into a gun by Erma.

The original MP38 phenolic grips that I've seen have all been a dark chocolate brown, not the later, lighter shades of brown, red, and sometimes orange.

Edited by TSMGguy

A minor correction. There were two manufacturer's of MP38s, not just one.
ERMA produced the MP38s in 1938, 1939 and into 1940.

Haenel produced MP38s in 1940 with 122 code and WAa 37.

Above info from "The Schmeisser Myth".

I have a 1940 dated Haenel MP38 with the grip panels numbered to the receiver.

FWIW

Thanks! Yes, and ayf 41 Erma produced MP38s have been observed.

It's a shame the serial number is not visible on the photo below. The number is usually on the left side of the end cap.

ayf41MP38.jpg

Edited by TSMGguy