Hope everyone is well and I have a question that another board member and myself were just talking about. 

Situation- I am currently thinking about purchasing a semi auto TSMG from another board member that had it SBR’ed on a Form 1. 

Question- If I have the 10.5” barrel removed and install a dummy/display barrel from Thompsonbarrels.com does said TSMG instantly become no longer a SBR that can be transferred as a standard long gun? Or, does it need something like being removed from the registry? (if that’s a thing?) At that point I would only take possession of the semi TSMG with dummy barrel and leave the barrel with a friend who would use/ store it with his other NFA TSMGs. Don’t wanna get hit with “intent to manufacture”.

Some point down the road I would then SBR it myself. 

Anywho. Appreciate all the help and figured this would be the best place to start asking!

thx- Chris

You could ask the owner to remove the barrel and inform ATF and request the arm be delisted. When approved you can treat the sale like any regular transaction.   But if you are pretty sure you’ll SBR yourself at some point, think about having the gun transferred to you as an SBR. 

• Like 1

Minor point. The NFRTR is like the internet, no information is ever removed. The approved  F1 for manufacture of the SBR remains in the files of that serial number.
A letter to ATF/ NFA from the current F1 registrant notifying them that the SBR has been disassembled is the vehicle for handling the return of the gun to a Title 1 firearm. The letter will be added to the file of that serial numbered gun as an update and will remain thereon. There is no other way and it is wise to notify ATF/NFA of the change.

If the current F1 registrant reassembles the SBR with the same short barrel previously assembled to the gun, a letter notification to ATF/NFA to that effect would be appropriate and correct.

If the gun changes ownership as a Title I firearm, reassembling it into an SBR requires an approved F1 application by the new owner to manufacture and SBR prior to assembly of the short barrel. Marking of the barrel with the applicant's name and address as the "manufacturer" is required. FWIW

• Like 1

i had a pps 43 that was an sbr    i wrote a letter to the atf saying that the stock had been returned to the original position and welded shut and please remove it from the sbr registry.   it took about 7 months for them to reply noting my request and it was no longer an sbr     i then sold it.     my point here is you should leave the thompson and just go ahead and buy it as is .   the work is done and your still going to have a wait time for the transfer no matter what you do ... best not to confuse them.     i sold a ppsh41 that was an sbr and it was a 6 month wait for the transfer.    just my two cents

• Like 1