Hospital in the Rock... Budapest Cold War Era Nuclear Bunker

Rekraps

So for those of you who like cool stuff that's gun related, the Hospital in the Rock bunker is a circa WW2 and then a Cold War Nuclear Bunker (Hospital) located in Budapest Hungary. Waaaaay cool to see the perfectly preserved technology of the 1940's - 1960's East Block technology.

What relates to the Forum however is an excellent Diorama depicting the siege of Budapest by the Russian Army who forced the Germans to retreat. 

The diorama is the inside of a building of some sort, with all types of real WW2 guns and equipment strewn about. At first I though they were replica's but I was able to lean over the waist high glass partition and sure as can be, the PPSH41 (it was the closest to the partition) was real! There was a gorgeous FG42, a MP42 complete with tripod and accessories, many rifles of all types, a MP40 and more. I could not believe my eyes! All the mannequins had original WW2 uniforms and accessories and there were lots of obviously found artifacts from the battle. 

I drooled for almost 30 minutes looking at them.....

Anyway, it's a great place for us war buffs to visit..

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 11:16 AM, Stampcollector said:

Very cool! Yes would love to see some pictures if you were able to take any.

Pictures were not allowed in the bunker. I highly recommend this tour for anyone in Budapest! Really cool....

6 hours ago, Rekraps said:

Pictures were not allowed in the bunker. I highly recommend this tour for anyone in Budapest! Really cool....

I was in Budapest September last year and didn't get to see the Rock bunker but did see a lot of other stuff!  

Going back to Europe in a little over 2 weeks.... going to Switzerland, France, Germany and Netherlands and hope to see museums with some military stuff from WWII.

Stamcollector    

10 hours ago, Stampcollector said:

I was in Budapest September last year and didn't get to see the Rock bunker but did see a lot of other stuff!  

Going back to Europe in a little over 2 weeks.... going to Switzerland, France, Germany and Netherlands and hope to see museums with some military stuff from WWII.

Stamcollector    

A few of my WP classmates and I are planning a two week European Military History Museum crusade in the next two years. There are tons of great museums over there that cater to WW2!