Thompson M1 / 1928A1 pistol grips with odd maker marks. Who made these?

Hello,

The grip on the right definitely looks as though the WWII contractor mark has been removed.  That being said, the only other WWII contractor mark that is missing is "D" for Dittenborn  Mfg.  The grip does not appear to be a Dittenborn grip, however.  They are similar to the Colt grips in appearance.  It is probably an "S" or "M" marked grip. 

The grip on the left does not appear that is has a manufacturing mark present, unless it is underneath all the crud that has built up.  Maybe try cleaning the top of the grip  and see if you can see something.  I would say that the grip  on the left is possibly a Dittenborn grip.  Unmarked grips would normally be Colt grips, but it doesn't have the proper contours for a Colt grip.  I would try cleaning it better and than post another picture.

Unknown Grip.jpg

Thank you for your help, the 'unmarked' one has a 'M' mark on a different spot, that's why I couldn't find it. Haven't seen this before... 

The other one with faint marks, well I cleaned it a bit on top. It shows either marks or scratches on two spots. One of them almost looks like a 7? I think the other mark near the screw is indeed an unclear S mark. 

Best regards Tommy 

IMG_20230724_185459_edit_105076540700632.jpg

IMG_20230724_185509.jpg

IMG_20230724_185548_edit_106497013067603.jpg

IMG_20230724_185626.jpg

Edited by US1945